One of these shrimp is not like the other ones...

Jess

So, I've recently noticed that one of my shrimp is pretty different to all the others, and I've been dying to ask someone for advice.

About 6 months ago I bought 20 Red Cherry Shrimp, 10 each from two different breeders. From memory, they all looked pretty similar when I first got them - some a little redder than others, but I figured that was just the male/female difference. I lost track of them pretty quickly (they had lots of plants to hide in) but they have been reproducing pretty rapidly and I think I have about 100 now.

About a month ago I realised that one of my shrimp is a lot bigger and a lot redder than the others. I've started to wonder if she's even the same type of shrimp! If she is just a very nice Red Cherry, does anyone have any advice about how I go about breeding her to get the best coloured babies? Do I just put her in another tank with the best coloured male I can find and leave them to it?

Here are some photos:

nlwivt.jpg2up3dhs.jpgmt8bqx.jpg1z3bk41.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks guys!

That's excellent, thanks Loach!

I'd love to think that some of my others might become a bit redder with age. I hadn't even thought of that! For all I know she might be the only survivor of the original batch I bought, so maybe in another month or two I'll notice if there's a difference in any of the younger ones.

So glad I found this forum ^____^

woah beautiful! yes my advice is to leave the female with the best coloured male you've got and go from there. alternatively, someone could spare you a high quality cherry shrimp male? i'd be happy to sponsor you one if you pay for postage. pm me :) always happy to help the new guys and girls

• Like 1