Anyone use peat moss to lower ph?

neosin

Anyone use peat to lower ph?

If so can you link the exact product please as I want to be 100% shrimp safe

im ordering some borneowild humic which is similar to fluvic grain but I figured this stuff is gonna cost me a fortune in the long run and I heard peat is cheap.

ive also added heaps of indian almond leaves and it hasn't done much to my ph grrr

the problem is Sydney tap water is now 8.1 ph and every time I water change ill need to lower ph somehow?!!!!!

thx

I use Brunnings brand peat moss for breeding some of the killies. You have to make sure there is no fertilizer added and its only peat moss. Some brands have added fertiliser or other stuff avoid those. I have had RCS in tanks with peat moss.

I also boil my peat before use as well.

Jag Aquatic Layout one of our sponsors sells 100% Natural Canadian sphagnum peat moss which is what you are looking for.

Why not invest in a RO unit ?
I do have ro unit' date=' it does nothing to the ph, just lowers Tds gh and kh to 0 ph remains the same as the tap water
Jag Aquatic Layout one of our sponsors sells 100% Natural Canadian sphagnum peat moss which is what you are looking for.
Cheers will look into that

Ohhh I though ro units drop ph aswell ?
apparently mine doesn't lol
Alternatively' date=' this is the peat moss Brunnings peat moss at Bunnings.[url']http://www.bunnings.com.au/potting-mix-brunnings-5l-peat-moss-31344_p3010202ps. sent you a pm Neosin.
Anyone use that bunnings brand before? It says organic... Also it is super cheap :)

Depending on the level of dissolved CO2 in the water, RO/DI units do usually lower ph from the source water...Maybe invest in another as I have never heard of ph 8.1 coming out of a RODI unit before at the least should lower it a bit

Anyone use that bunnings brand before? It says organic...

Also it is super cheap :)

I have, it's fine and works but don't use it in the tank directly. Use it to treat your change water or in a barrel.

• Like 1

By definition RO/DI has to lower pH. As do IAL's in RO/DI water.

You need a new unit or a new membrane at least.

By removing all buffer ions Carbon Dioxide will dissolve in RO/DI water and form a solution with a pH of 5.8, same deal with the IAL the humic acids should dissolve and there will be no buffering, pH <7 for sure.

By definition RO/DI has to lower pH. As do IAL's in RO/DI water.

You need a new unit or a new membrane at least.

By removing all buffer ions Carbon Dioxide will dissolve in RO/DI water and form a solution with a pH of 5.8' date=' same deal with the IAL the humic acids should dissolve and there will be no buffering, pH <7 for sure.[/quote']

I hate pH and always will lol!

It is never what it is on paper in my tank. Even when I got the unit new the PH was around 7.

I do have airstones running 24/7 not sure if that makes a difference?

The only thing that has dropped ph so far in that tank is co2.

My KH was 5 (which is apparently high and will help fluctuations of ph) and ph 7.8 when there is no co2 injected, if I add even the slightest (1 bubble per 6 seconds) my ph drops to about 6.4 in a matter of hours

I added 10 big IAL in my 60cm x 45 cm tank and it hardly made it move.

Anyhoo, i ordered 10kg of 100% Natural Canadian sphagnum peat moss and I'm going to put it in my filter and see how it goes and report back :D

Add your peat a bit at a time until you find out how much you need, it like up here in reverse I have to add coral to my water to lift it a bit. The more you add the more it will raise up, so the same for you , the more you ad the lower it will go.

Dam I am glad I don't have water like that anymore, I was use to Brisbane water. Cairns water is wonderful stuff

Bob

When I was breeding South Americans ( catfish and Cichlids ) i used to treat the water with Canadian peat through a canister filter , worked for me and the water in Bundy is not the best for fish breeders