Hello hellO

eddie

Hi there guys!!

Good to see a homebread shrimp forum.. Im pretty new to keeping shrimps.. just got my first tank earlier this year, its a little 30L tank... and been chopping and changing ever since.. started with the shrimps about 2 months ago now.. and me and my gf and loving them..

atm i've got; 2 CRS / 2 Yellow Cherry's and about 5 Cherry Red's...

and i've got 9 neons tetras.. ( yehhhh i know these are not that good of an idea in a shrimp tank)

im really trying to get into the whole aquascaping thing atm i love the planted look.

Here's a pic i took just then.. havne't really taken any good pics as yet.. Im bought this black background plastic and wanting to put that up before i take a good pic... ((oh wait i got some uploading problems.. will put a pic soon)

anyways looking forward to feedback and any ideas or advice on my tank and checking out everyone else aquascaping and shrimps!

Cheers,

Eddie

Hi Eddie :D

I bet all those different shrimp look great in your tank with plants and Neons! I love aquascaping too, but it can be a bit of a pain when you keep moving stuff around trying to get it *perfect* xD

You can host your images on TinyPic and post them that way, I think. Really looking forward to some pictures :)

Oh finally i got a pic to work.. Not quite sure how to upload pics on here??

yeh tell me about it! lucky im held up with uni and work, otherwise i don't know how many times i would be playing around with it.. Well this is the latest.. and im hoping to really leave it for a while and just let the plants grow in.. will get some more pics in soon!

and lol.. i know it looks like theres nothing in the tank in that pic! but there is definitely lots hehe

mr7kt2.jpg

Haha, I'm the same - if I wasn't at Uni I'd never stop fiddling with mine! Where/what are you studying?

Your tank looks awesome, I especially like that piece of driftwood, it's a lovely shape. I never seem to see any nice ones at the store, and I'm too scared to put anything in the tank that I find outside xD What sort of plants do you have in there?

yeh lucky we got uni huh hehehe.. im in my last sem now, studying at UWS, Business & Commerce (property)

Oh really? thanks for that!! hehe, yeh i know i had something else in there that i wasn't really happy with, and then finally stumbled across that and now im settled with it.. finally! yeh i know ah its prolly ok, but you wouldn't want to risk it unless you know for sure i guess..

do you have any pics of your tank up?

ohh the plants.. hmm im really bad with names.. but ill google it; so google says i got...

- Anubias on the right driftwod

- banana lili

- java moss around the driftwood

- Cryptocoryne - i think its this.. some sort anyways , seems to be a few different ones

- Echinodorus - same with this one, there's a few different types it seems

- just got some duckweed yesterday and a little frogbite

- Hemianthus micranthemoides - or its called pearl weed

- compact corymbosa - just discovered why its not growing well - i need potassium

- Cardamine - the lili pilly looking thing at the back - just got that very recently too

- Lindernia rotundifolia - i think thats it, or can be called ' baby tears'

Ok thats it, wow more then i can remember!

Well, that's a fancy sounding degree! I'm just doing Arts xD

And that is a lot of plants. Nice :p It's amazing how quickly they mount up when you start collecting them, hehe. I have some of the same types as you (how cool are banana lilies!), but I've never heard of corymbosa before. Just Googled it - very pretty!

I put a picture of my tank up earlier today http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/589-My-shrimp-tank

My favourite plant is probably the Rotala Wallichii :3

ohh its not as fancy as id like it to be hehe

yeh i think banana lilies are a girls thing hehe, my gf loves it too! i wouldn't say its my favorite plant

oh yeh just seen your tank, it looks pretty awesome!! wooah u got a fighter in with your shrimp? how does that work out? and do you bread the shrimp in that tank too? very interesting i wanted to get a fighter instead of all the neons but thought he would demolish the shrimp.

Oh really? Maybe lilies are a bit girly, haha.

And thanks! The fighter is fine with the shrimp, surprisingly. He is too lazy to chase live shrimp, but he will eat any dead ones that he finds. I think they're pretty good company for him actually. He joins them for a meal whenever I drop a piece of zucchini in the tank (he LOVES zucchini), and they just walk all over him. Sometimes he does get up really close and stare at them for a while before he gets bored and swims away, but that's about it xD

I only have Red Cherry Shrimp at the moment and they're pretty prolific breeders, so I always seem to have lots of babies. There are plenty of places for them to hide, too, so I haven't had any problems. What about your Neons, have you noticed any of them trying to snack on your shrimp? I was considering adding a small school to my tank, but I'm not sure yet :)

hmm sounds great.. its scary to put new fish into the tank now though even when i added extra neon's i was worried. i traded them for my rummy nose and 2 guppies cause i didnt want to risk loosing my yellow's because of their 'great' price..

yeh i have noticed one of them try to have a nip but the shrimp was quick to get outta there.. and i haven't had any trouble since hehe.. but i do think babies wouldn't have a chance, unless they are smart and do hide well.. there's enough space for them to hide

yeh i think neon's look nice in a planted tank.. i mean there's nicer fish out there but the options are minimal when shrimp are part of the community..

i forgot, i have a little BN catfish in there as well ..

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous about the idea of adding new fish. I finally have a setup where everything is running well and everyone seems healthy, I don't want to upset the balance xD

Can't blame you for not wanting to risk your Yellows! I paid like $1 each for my Red Cherries so I guess I was never too worried about losing them, haha.

I love Bristlenoses. I have two little Peppermints in with my Shrimp too. They go nicely together :3

ohh wow thats interesting..

yeah it's to keep the for sale section being a one hit wonder kind of thing, plus it helps keep the site running i suppose. This forum is much more than buying or selling though to making a quick buck, you'll find many members sharing shrimp on here for much less than anywhere else... not to say they are all cheap, but it's a great way to expand your interest in the hobby when some are willing to share shrimp at much more reasonable prices.

Hi Eddi ,welcome to SKF, and enjoy your shrimping time with us

welcome to SKF Eddie

we have the classified and other areas set up this way to stop people just coming here to sell or buy stuff.

there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum who are more than happy to help out with people that are actively contributing to the forum :)

enjoy

Hi ...

I bought aqua soil on the weekend.. and since then my PH has been really low like below 6.. everytime i put soem PH up in it.. the next day its back down below 6..

Does anyone know if the low PH is going to destroy my shrimp?? can they live in those levels?

Also, I think im ready to say goodbye to my fish and go 'Only shrimp'! need to get rid of my 9 neons now.. oh wait ill keep the BN he doesnt seem to want to hurt anybody

Ok sounds good Foxpuppet! i will look into joining up

G'day eddie, welcome mate. It's worth becoming a premium member I think, opens up much more then you can see atm. Some really knowledgeable and friendly people here, I learn something every time I log in :)