New Fishroom: What's breeding?

KillieOrCory

Hi all,

As of today I am still not fully moved my old fishroom, but currently have 84 tanks running in the new fishroom with additional 8 water storage tanks. All my fish apart from some poor kribensis juveniles and rainbows have been moved for weeks.

The new room allows for easy maintenance, so I have been hoping for a productive Fish/Shrimproom. For me if a species in my charge breeds it is a good sign that I am doing things right! So I always work towards breeding whatever I keep to ensure I am trying to do the best that I can for them.

This thread is going to be a little record of how things are going! It might be a bit boring so I'll try to add photos when I can.

What's breeding/bred in the last week

Betta sp.

Betta krataios - The male is currently holding. I got these fish when KiwiBigD was getting rid of his fish to fully concentrate on shrimp. Have I told you about this guys generosity before? They have bred many times before but I did not bother to raise any of the fry! :stupid: Well we are in the new room so there is a new way of doing things now! The two girls have now been removed so the male is on his own in the tank to hold/incubate the eggs/fry for as long as he needs without being disturbed. Fingers crossed for a good number of fry.

Betta channoides - During my honeymoon, house move etc. these guys did not fare well. In fact I was reduced to one female. I have been looking after her super well as I was feeling a bit guilty. On Friday I received a pair of channoides from Jodi-Lea. Sunday my old female was doing this:

IMG_2964_zps920208cd.jpg

Ever since he was released into the tank she was after him! After he had a few good blackworms feeds on Friday and Saturday on Sunday he obviously gave in. When I go home tonight I'll be removing the females to another tank to give him a restful holding period.

Corydoras sp.

I normally try to breed my corys in winter as I found that works the best for me. So currently all I am doing is to ensure they are in good condition and putting on size for the breeding season in 5-6 months. Though this means I am feeding and changing water at the similar frequencies to what I do when I try to breed them in winter.

Corydoras panda - I've been trying to get a breeding colony for ages. I've had a young group for a while and I was pretty confident they'll be ready to go when winter comes around once again. Last couple of days in Canberra the weather has been winter like. So the pandas bred :victorious: got eggs will see what happens with them.

Killifish

This part is going to be boring so a short synopsis

Fry hatched this week:

Aphyosemion calliurum

Aphyosemion striatum

Fundulopanchax gardneri N'sukka

Fundulopanchax gardneri P82

Fundulopanchax gardneri Albino

Fundulopanchax gardneri Gold

Aphyosemion (Cr) bitaeniatum Lagos

Aphyosemion (Cr) bitaeniatum Ijebu Ode

Aphyosemion (Cr) bitaeniatum AMAR11

Aphyosemion (Cr) poliaki

Aphyosemion (Cr) poliaki Bolifamba

Epiplatys dageti monrovia

Epiplatys sexfaciatus AMAR11

Oryzias woworae (honorary killifish)

Apart from the eggs of the above I collected eggs from another 15 or so species of killies this week.

Shrimp

RCS - got berried girls and new shrimplets everywhere

Sunkist - got berried girls and new shrimplets. These are relatively new for me. Thank you HeavyD :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Wow thats a lot of tanks. Good luck with those Corydoras pandas look forward to seeing them. Your Betta channoides picture looks like she has a big smile on her face-truly- take another look!

Must be exciting perusing your tanks to see what has bred for you.

Any chance of some photos of the Panda cories? They are some of my favourites.

Great to see they are all settled into their new homes!! Glad they appreciate the fishroom as much as we all do!! :) Congrats

Thanks guys, I am having an awesome time in there. The fish seem to like being looked after well too ;)

Here are the pandas couple of weeks ago

IMG_2671_zpsa7e53c13.jpg

I havent seen them actively hunt shrimp, but if they come across shrimplets they will suck them into their mouths. They love live food.

• HOF Member

Mmmm thought so my corys used to hunt them down too. Guess no pandas for me:(

I haven't got any fish now but they would be handy with my heavy handed feeding

Hi Ineke,

Here is a video of my old 4foot cory growing tank.

http://youtu.be/hP2TDlgB6vk

The few RCS I put in there turned into a hundreds and hundreds. There were close to 60 corys in there as well.

Yes they do eat the shrimplets but Neocaridina ones should out breed them.