Aussie member!

shrimpysydney

Hey all,

new member from sydney.

recently become quiet addicted to shrimpy.

i have kept saltwater and freshwater tanks before.

i have a modded aqua nano 40 to house some shrimp

splish and splash 27l

and a absolute starfire bookshelf tank (iwigumi scape still in progress)

looking on buying a rack soon with 6-8 tanks for my shrimpy habit.

hope i can find the info needed here to keep my shrimp happy, and find some certain rare species ;)

i have kk misc, red rilli, crs sss, and a cherry farm.

i use ro water, bee shrimp mineral, benibachi growth enzyme and azoo mineral plus for my shrimp water.

Peace

~shrimpysydney

Welcome to the forum, definitely the best place to be to learn about shrimp. We love pics so whack some up when you get a chance. Hope you have as much fun here as we do! :victorious:

funny-animal-gifs-it-seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time_zps2b4f20b6.gif

• HOF Member

Welcome to SKF heaps to see and learn here and we have lots of fun along the way. There is no such thing as a silly question so ask away.. Sounds like you already have a nice selection of shrimp. This is a closed forum that will open up for you as you post so the more you post the more you see. We would love to see some pictures of your shrimp and tanks, plus posting them adds to your tally so opens the forum quickly. If you want the forum to open straight away and have access to the classifieds you can become a premium member for $12.50 .Hope you enjoy our forum as much as we do.:)

Welcome to the forum!! Sounds like the shrimp keeping bug has well and truly bitten. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Ask lots of questions and be sure to post pics of your setups, especially the bookshelf tank sounds brilliant!!

Enjoy!!

post-501-139909865409_thumb.jpg

post-501-139909865412_thumb.jpg

post-501-139909865414_thumb.jpg

hopefully i attached the pics correctly..

I have just started with the iwigumi tank, Im pretty happy with the rock placement for now.

hc cuba is on order to lawn the tank, havent decided on other plants for it as of yet.

going to dry start the tank with the hc cuba first once its rooted will plan the rest.

on the plus side ....

getting another 5 f6 kk mish tonight with 1 oebt x tibee mish

:)

post-3798-139909854727_thumb.jpg

post-3798-139909854731_thumb.jpg

post-3798-139909854733_thumb.jpg

• HOF Member

Tanks look really nice. Look forward to seeing the progress as the "lawn" grows:D

next step will be to start the rack, i already have sponge filters cranking in a well established tanks sump for the last 2 months,

and bags of noodles, i was thinking of canister with sponge inside tank.

what is the less maintenance filtration method people are using?

i seem to get alot of mixed answers. would a ugf and sponge filter setup be better than the canister and sponge combo or vice versa ?

cheers

*edit *

and using the shrimp substrate you are not ment to disturb it, so with the ugf system would the filter get clogged eventually ?

how do you clean ugf filters in this kind of setup ?

sorry im used to the old school ones with just pebbles on it and you clean it with a siphon on water changes ...

Stunning looking tanks dude, the Iwigumi rock placement is awesome, can't wait to see that tank progress, make sure you keep us up to date on your progress. :victorious:

I wouldn't recommend using UGF's as they will strip the substrate of it's minerals & buffing capacity pretty quick, also the substrate will be very hard to clean. If you set a sump up right it will have very little maintenance but a good canister will work well too & definitely have sponge filters in there as well, they are an excellent food source for shrimplets. :encouragement:

Stunning looking tanks dude' date=' the Iwigumi rock placement is awesome, can't wait to see that tank progress, make sure you keep us up to date on your progress. :victorious:[/quote']

+1 very nice :-)

post-501-139909865412_thumb.jpg

Hey !

Is that a Mr Aqua 3ft bookshelf tank, you've used for your Iwagumi setup?

I'd love one of them.

@jayc nah mate its the absolute starfire bookshelf tank. same size as the mr aqua one. but i think the glass is better on this tank.

update since last.

the heat wave last week in my kk tank got me worried. my mate came to the rescue with this nice chiller a teco micro.

post-34-139909856095_thumb.png

stable 23'c temp even on hot days :)

i also got myself another tank.

i think this add a total of 13 or 14 tanks in the house and one of them is a 8ft x 2ft lol

this tank is 4ft x 18 inch x 18inch a nice size.

my plans are to divide into 4 sections for breeding.

i have 1 up aqua sponge filter in there atm with a 1200lph canister but plan to add one sponge filter per section.

i used mr aqua substrate as the bottom layer the who 8kg bag.

i then topped it with 20kg of benibachi fulvic soil.

post-34-139909856098_thumb.png

filling the tank

post-34-139909856101_thumb.png

cycling

post-34-139909856103_thumb.png

post-3798-139909854782_thumb.jpg

post-3798-139909854785_thumb.jpg

post-3798-139909854788_thumb.jpg

post-3798-139909854791_thumb.jpg

Looking awesome dude, this tank is going to be stunning when it's finished, can't wait to see your updates. :victorious: