What EC should I have on a fluval G3?

Eshrimp

Hello gang... We'll I picked up a new G3 and I'm a bit confused with the EC. I have been using my original Chinese baby blue TDS pen for more than a year and I keep my CRS cbs tank at 200-215TDS using this pen but now that I have the G3 running it's reading 610 EC. I guess my main question is to know what EC due other G3 owners like to keep?

Congrats on the G3, have them, and love them ! Ec @ 610 for CBS is HUGE. Generally Ec @ 230 +/- 50 is ideal… Have you noticed low shrimplet survival etc

I'd suspect your TDS pen needs calibration, as the conversion doesn't seem to equate to the regions (see below)..

TDS is unfortunately not converted universally, and it's conversion rate differs in regions. This thread best discusses it …

http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/3078-Dean-s-(Ec)-vs-BlueBolts-(TDS)

In summary (extracted from the above link) ….

There are three conversion factors which various manufacturers use for displaying ppm's... USA 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 500 ppm

European 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 640 ppm

Australian 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 700 ppm

For example,

Hanna, Milwaukee 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 500 ppm

Eutech 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 640 ppm

Truncheon 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 700 ppm

Hope this helps..

No probs at all with the population of the tank at any stage of development, molts are nice and regular and of good quality. The pen seams ok since new RO reads 0 and pen tank values fluctuate as expected with my WC and adding salty shrimp. I have read the G3 manual and it says allow 48hrs for calibration of EC to occur naturally but it just seams like to big of a diff no?

c24cb57257763429be21ef8c77537c7c.jpg0140a431aa3bc1e6a742be043bbad99e.jpg0e8321128460dc0da044d7280c3eebfb.jpgcaa4a92f7dcc41d10fb31e207c253177.jpg08e249a9d9162bc39a54ef748e105272.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pics just took them now with my iPad lol

Holy crap, that looks awesome…. can't argue with the results ! LOL…..makes me miss my 140 lt CRS/CBS tank … awesome …oh, I said that already….

Mine calibrated almost immediately, perhaps it does need 48 hours . Keep us posted.

I am going to be dreaming of this tank for weeks to come!! The shrimp seem happy in their current wp!! Hope the EC reading adjusts by itself!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Ok....so i have ran both of my G3's on the shrimp tank and i can confirm that the EC is correct at 600 as per both G3"s have the same reading. should i gradually bring that EC down or keep it at where it is since shrimp look happy and have been fine with the same TDS reading from what i now know is a messed up TDS pen?

I have also learnt not to trust cheap tds pens...all this time I was putting my trust in it believing it gave correct readings only to wonder why my shrimplets were not making it to adulthood.

If shrimp are happy I would leave it but in saying that they may be happier with the correct EC/TDS, your call.

They might be equally, or be even more happy at 300EC.

Just sayin'.

You KNOW what the ideal parameter is.

When you have a huge population like that, it only takes one thing to go over the limit to start causing issues.

Besides, Water changes is always a good thing.

Can you recalibrate the TDS Pen?

My HM Digital AP1 TDS pen can be recalibrated.

Ec @ 600 is HUGE. Although you've got a great population, and due to qty's, the % of shrimplet survival may not be great. I had question this previously with my BB colony, and when I actually segregated my berried females, the % of shrimplet survival wasn't great…population seemed to be exploding, but there were like 8-10 berried females, so although seeing 50 shrimplets were amazing….. to get a 80% survival rate, there should be like 130. False sense of security.

Also, as jayc rightly mentioned, there maybe a spike in Nitrates, Temp etc….and the tank will quickly go crashing down, as the high TDS will expand the issues. I'd slowly reduce Ec to 200….. but that's just me :-)

Again, awesome tank !

Just did a normal WC without adding my normal amount of salty shrimp, EC has dropped to 515 now. Should I keep doing this until EC comes down to acceptable parameters? If I due so, won't shrimp miss their Salty shrimp salts?

Just do it gradually....the shrimps can only absorb so much, so more doesn't mean better..... Just monitor your GH too

That's what I was thinking, I just raised mine from 110 to 160 with great results. Are you thinking the TDS should be 200 or EC? :confused:

Oops' date=' ,neat to say 230... I keep my TDS @ 150, between 100-200 is ideal ...[/quote']

This is why many of us call you a mad scientist, I remember many a post you saying that your ideal was a TDS of 200, now you say @150? LOL!

Hahaha, I get them confused all the time, I have to think twice before calculating to make sure I have the right one & yes I still have to think which is left & right too, lol :stupid:

This is why many of us call you a mad scientist' date=' I remember many a post you saying that your ideal was a TDS of 200, now you say @150? LOL![/quote']

Always experimenting and testing for optimal conditions for my setup. Every tank/setup is so different, depending on WC routine, and other WP, what's good for one may not be good for others etc. To date 150 works great, and have noticed better shrimplet survival vs 200 TDS.

300-400' date=' twice the TDS & yes I had to double check my maths, hahaha! :smiley_simmons:[/quote']

I disagree..:smiley_simmons: As many of us use Salty Shrimp, and tend to refer more to the European WP, our Ec conversion is 0.64, not 0.5.

USA 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 500 ppm

European 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 640 ppm

Australian 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 700 ppm

Salty shrimp suggest a Ec of 200, +/- 50, which theoritically relates to TDS 96 to 160. It is really important to know what your TDS pens convention rate is.....best to test it against a Ec pen to confirm the conversion.

Recently I've had a hobbyist confused why his shrimplets survival rate was low, as he maintained his "TDS" at 200. But as his pen was at 0.5 convention, his Ec was actually 400.

Eshrimp, your Ec should theoritically be 200, +/- 50....