Hello :D

Jess

Hi everyone!

My name is Jess and I’m from Canberra. I spend most of my time at work and University, so fishkeeping – and more recently shrimp-keeping – is my favourite stress-relief hobby.

I started keeping fish around 18 months ago, with a couple of Platies and a Bristlenose Catfish in a 40 litre tank. Then about 6 months ago I decided they needed a bigger home and bought a 215 litre tank. Unfortunately, just before I bought the new tank, my fish started to develop some sort of chronic/recurring illness (I think it’s columnaris), and I decided to keep them in the smaller tank until the disease cleared up completely.

In the meantime I put a whole lot of plants in the new tank, along with two Peppermint Bristlenoses and a Crowntail Betta to keep the plants company. Then one day I saw an advertisement for someone selling Red Cherry Shrimp, which I’d never heard of. I’d never even heard of anyone keeping shrimp before! To cut a long story short, I now have about 100 Red Cherries in the planted tank. They’re so funny to watch, and do such an amazing job at keeping algae off the plants, that I’ve fallen totally in love with them.

The fish in my little tank have been looking a bit better this past month, so I am hoping to move them into the bigger tank sometime soon. I would really like to get more into shrimp-keeping, so once the little tank is free I would really like to try keeping another type of shrimp in there. Maybe Crystal Reds? I’m not really sure yet, which is part of the reason I’m so glad to have found this forum. There is so much I’d like to learn, and I’m really looking forward to getting to know you all!

Cheers,

Jess

welcome to skf jess :D

yea get crystal shrimp i like them more but they are harder to keep than cherries :D

Hi Jess, Welcome to SKF, once you have the shrimp bug you wont be getting rid of it in a hurry ;)

Hi Jess, Welcome aboard Enjoy SKF! Hmmm you did say you had two tanks?Better start looking for more space, once the shrimp bug gets you you won't be satisfied with just one or two varieties of shrimp Enjoy our hobby, Regards

Thanks Wayne! Yeah, only two tanks at the moment (unfortunately) but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more. I think you're right - this seems like a very addictive hobby xD

Hi Foxpuppet :D Haha' date=' thanks. I really like the shrimp in your icon thing, by the way. He's very pretty![/quote']

yeah i searched a long time to find one like this... i want more.

Welcome to the forum Jess, glad you found us too :)

im sure you will enjoy your time here and pick up plenty of good useful info along the way.