Tank cycling

warren63

Several weeks ago I bought a sponge filter off ebay. In anticipation of it arriving I setup my tank last weekend to home more cherry shrimp. Anyway my filter still hasn't arrived. The tank has an air stone running for water movement and has substrate, plants and water added from my cherry tank. The tank is currently going through the cycle process. So once the filter does arrive how much time should elapse before sufficent bacteria are in the filter?

How can a tank cycling without filter?:confused::confused:

so the filter is required? Ive checked the water once and showed ammonia and nitrites so assumed it was cycling. Anyway i will leave it as it till the filter arrives and then check the tank once the filter is operating.

If there is water movement, a surface and some initial food source I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be cycling.

The bacteria will colonise all surfaces of the tank and not just in the filter so in your case you should be fine.

As for the time taken for these to move from the glass, gravel etc to the filter, I have no idea.

The tank will still cycle, it will just be less efficient and more susceptible to change.

How long a tank cycles depends on many factors.

Food (ammonia) source, temperature, pH ... for example.

The duration from start to completion of cycling varies for everyone.

The only way to be sure YOUR tank is cycle is to invest in an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kit, and test every 1 or 2 days during the cycling period.

Charting the test results will help you determine when your tank is completely cycled.

Remember that adding livestock will initiate another mini cycle each time, we recommend adding less at a time so that the bacteria can grow in numbers to compensate.

My filter arrived today so im away now till next week and will check the tank on my return. yes i will only add little amounts of shrimp as i go.