'Nano rack'

Garnelchen

The other day I saw that tank in a pet shop ....It had 3 different compartments + an inbuilt filter compartment at the back. Total volume was about 40 L. Sort of like a nano rack! :congratulatory: It's sold as a betta tank (but who wants bettas anyway....)

As this probably is about as much rack as I will be able to get in the near future, I really want this little tank. It was so cute and I could put a different colour of cherry shrimp in each compartment. :o

However the problem is, that the slits between the compartments and going into the filter at the back are far to big for shrimp (let alone shrimplets) I was thinking of glueing some mesh over these slits. Maybe fly screen? Is that fine enough to keep shimplets in? what else could I use?

Any thoughts?

xpression3_000.jpg

Garnie ill take a pic for you when i get home of something ive done similarly (remind me if i forget)

Garnie ill take a pic for you when i get home of something ive done similarly (remind me if i forget)

Oh, that would be great. Thank you, Tess! :)

Don't let Squiggs here you say "who wants Bettas anyway"

Errr...I didn't mean it like that. I meant to say that Bettas are too good for people like me. YEAH! Just a problem with the language......:angel:

This is what I did on my Spec, I didn't want to do anything more permanent, some shrimplets do still get through.

If you let me know the dimensions I can send you some mesh.

post-3442-139909854388_thumb.jpg

• HOF Member
Errr...I didn't mean it like that. I meant to say that Bettas are too good for people like me. YEAH! Just a problem with the language......:angel:

Very good save there Garnie:o

Don't get too obsessed with shrimplets going through, the whole idea of the separation is breeding, so if the shrimplets venture to the next compartment, they're not going to do any harm, and once they're bigger or before sexual maturity, that's where the division is critical.... I use to have a 100 lt tank with 4 x Sudo breeding boxes, and 4 internal breeding boxes....once the female was berried, she's released to the heavily mossed tank...... Still, it used to bother the shits out of me, but from a breeding perspective, it worked well..

I think that is not the next compartment but the sump area...I would silicone it in place easy to remove if required with a razor.

I think that is not the next compartment but the sump area...I would silicone it in place easy to remove if required with a razor.

Well, it's both! Bluebolt is right with what he is saying as far as the dividers are concerned. I didn't think of that!:o

But yeah....where it goes into the sump more care has to be taken...don't really want shrimplets in there.

This is what I did on my Spec' date=' I didn't want to do anything more permanent, some shrimplets do still get through.

If you let me know the dimensions I can send you some mesh.[/quote']

Very cool, Wraithie! Do you just hold it in place with those clips?

It would be great if you could send me some mesh.

I will let you know the dimensions....but I'll have to buy the tank first :o

Not as easy as you think, that back piece is plastic/acrylic, you'd scratch the crap out of it, I know cause I've got a Spec too :victorious:

Somehow I don't believe you Garny, hahaha :smiley_simmons:

If I silicone it in on the inside of the sump it won't matter if I scratched it. I also would look neater! :congratulatory:

Why wouldn't you belive me, Squiggs? You know me, I'm trustworthy :)

Lol Squiggle =beaten

Ive got an aqua one tank like that and siliconed some plastic fly screen over it. So far i havent seen any little guys get thru but do note a lot of big and small shrimp love grazing on it. Assume the mesh catches various items which the shrimp are taking advantage of it.

Yah they're just fancy paper clips that hold it on, I have plenty of shrimplets in the filter every time I clean it, but it's my red cherry tank so I'm not getting stressed about it.

Why wouldn't you belive me' date=' Squiggs? You know me, I'm trustworthy :)[/quote']

Indeed you are. :encouragement:

Just found this topic and it tweaked my interest , can you provide some more info of the tank ( make etc ) and perhaps a full photo

Cheers

Barry

Hi Barry

Sorry, I don't have a photo because I don't have the tank yet....but it's an Aqua one tank and it looks similar to one of these (like the bigger one just divided into 3 compartments). I think it's from the same range.

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/xpression.php

Would love to see one of these as it could solve some issues re space ... we live in a regional town and don't see tanks like these very often if at all

Barry

• 1 month later...

Ok, I finally went and bought the little tank!

It's meant to be for betta but I think it makes a perfect shrimp tank! :D

post-3429-139909865911_thumb.jpg

As suggested by Warren, I glued some plastic fly screen over the holes in the dividers (I used super glue) to make them shrimp proof.

post-3429-139909865916_thumb.jpg

Then added some shrimp stratum....

post-3429-139909865919_thumb.jpg

....and some mosses and water of course.

post-3931-139909865926_thumb.jpg

Done! Cutest little shrimp rack ever! :o

post-3931-13990986593_thumb.jpg

post-1840-13990985495_thumb.jpg

post-1840-139909854955_thumb.jpg

post-1840-139909854959_thumb.jpg

post-1840-139909854964_thumb.jpg

post-1840-139909854969_thumb.jpg

Wow Garny, that looks awesome!! :encouragement: That's a very cool little setup, perfect for a few shrimp & some selective breeding, well done! :applause: