Prime and SHRIMP and sudden deaths on water changes.... Possible cause????

endlerboy

• HOF Member

I think if the hair algae is grown in a different tank the shrimp will go to it because any new item transferred into my tanks from another tank is covered in shrimp in no time. Must be different flavoured biofilm on it:congratulatory:

I don't know why they love it but they certainly do. This photo is 3.5 hours later, absolutely astonishing for about a dozen of these little Shrimpies.

I really love putting it in there because they actually come running like little kids to a chocolate cake.

post-3614-139909854461_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread but I had this issue with Prime in one of my tanks. I was overdosing because I was scared of a spike when adding new fish and everyone online seemed to think it was safe. I was dosing the prime in the water for changes then putting it in after a few minutes. Seemed to impact some species more than others. Lost a few DAS and they were all swimming around crazy for 2 days. :( Took me a while to work out what it was and it happened twice but then I contacted Dave who I got the shrimp off and he said that it isn't the first time he heard of water conditioners killing shrimp. I've since used it in really small amounts and haven't had it happen again. Now I add a tiny bit and age the water a few days at least.

I have heard that it might be partially a reaction with other substances in the tank so may happen in some tank more than others. Never happened in my other tank.