Bloody Power Outage!

CNgo2006

Just sufferred a +1hr power outage, without any warning Boom! Blackout! F@C#! Of course first thing that came to mind was my shrimp (lucky I was home and at this time had no idea how long it would be out for, have had one around 4hrs once). I quickly looked for my battery power airpumps and buckets...emptied all media from the filters (have 6 tanks so 6 buckets of media and 6 battery airpumps) into the buckets withh tank water and chucked the airstone at the bottom of the bucket so oxygen would rise up through the media.I prayed that the electricity would soon come back on...came back on around 1hr 20 mins later, chucked all the media back in the filters, Added some prime/beneficial bacteria and easylife...all seems fine so far, hope it stays that way, should be fine though.

Lucky you were around and that it was off for only an hour. Good you have your emergency procedures in place.

Myself and other newbies need to take note.

Sure all will be well! :)

Lucky you were around and that it was off for only an hour. Good you have your emergency procedures in place. Myself and other newbies need to take note. Sure all will be well! :)
Yes it is a must to be prepared as the power can just cutout without any prior warning...So my advice is be prepared' date=' don't think... ah it won't go off anytime soon or it won't be off for long anyway or I'll get the required items later, as things never turn out the way you think.The thing is this was my B plan for power outage procedures, my A plan is my power generator which had a flat battery so wouldn't start, so I wasn't really as prepared as I thought! LOL!My friend had a power outage for around +2hrs he wasn't prepared and lost 80% of his shrimp...
Well done. Wish I was as well organised as you :)

So if u leave media in the filter in an hour without flow' date=' they gonna die?[/quote']

I think an hr would not have done much to the beneficial bacteria but you have to remember when power cuts out you don't know how long it will be before it is back on. Also I have some HOB filters which when the power cuts out most of the water is lost, so I disconnect the intake tube so it doesn't siphon water back out and fill the HOB with water so the media doesn't dry out stick an airstone in there as well.

so u did to all of your canister? :confused-new:

Yes I don't like sharing water between tanks just in case, so i did do this to all my filters (hence 6 airpumps). But if you aren't paranoid like me and don't mind the water of tanks mixing then just chuck all the filter media of all filters into the one+ bucket and do it that way.

Wow dude, so lucky! I've been thinking about getting a UPS in my shrimp room or at least on my rack, think I might start pricing the system very soon. Glad to hear everything was ok with your shrimp & tanks. :victorious:

Ups plus a generator, I think the ones at work last a couple of hours, so if we have long cut outs you need the power source

Lucky you were home.Just got back from SA to find some lowlife had flipped the switch to my fishroom air con.Mate came round to feed and waterchange on Monday night someone had turned of lights and power at fuse box to fish room,so he water changed and reset fuses only to have them return and flip the a/c a day or two later.Only lost about 1/3 of my shrimp,but almost all my TB are gone and 1/2 my Crystals. Will set my breeding back a bit I think,at least my cherries and fish are all fine.

Crap dude, that sux ass! This is why I don't have people round to my house, I always deliver. Some people Re just scum!! :mad:

Serious? Damn that is just cowardly and pathetic... maybe place a little hidden camera and try to catch them if they try again, I mean they did return more then once right?

Think I now who it was.And they will Know we are home by now, wont see them much for a week or so even though they are spiting distance from my front door.

Yep no one comes to my house bar 4or 5 peeps Ive known for years don't sell to public just shops and wholesaler.Only person that knew we were gone was looking after my fish and shrimp and the Guy across the road.

What a douche...you suspect the guy but no evidence right? Try to catch him red handed so you have some levy as he may try again the next time he knows you are out.

From now on live in none working house sitter when I travel.

Definitely a great plan dude :encouragement: