jumping/crawling | fast moving | white specks in shrimp tank!!

Dostalgia

I just spotted some jumping/crawling white specks inside of my tank, mainly on the glass!

They are pin head size, white and crawl relatively fast for their size.

I am getting paranoid about what they might be!!! Should i be worried?

From that description I would say Rotifers? no harm just a by product of over feeding and for me they are a welcome guest, good food for some species offish fry.

When you look at them do they look like there is 2 sacks in a y formation off the back of them? if so Rotifer's, if not Daphne another good food that is of no trouble to your shrimp.

I am feeding a tank heavy at the moment to get a really small one I had back, just remember over feeding can be very dangerous, I get around it by water changing every day but my water is perfect up here so I can, not recommended down south.

Bob

from what i can see, they look like a dot, a white tiny speck with what looks like a tail.

they are just too tiny to notice any sack!

For something so tiny, they sure are strong! they manage to crawl around the filter intake without being sucked in

They also crawl at a relatively fast speed ( 10-20times their body size in distance in 1sec?)

Do they breed fast?

I have only gotten my shrimps for less than a week, and fed them about 3 times so far.

Each feeding consist of 2 granular of fluval shrimp food, 2pc ocean nutrition shrimp algae wafers, all these food for 10shrimps.

They could be a thing I know as Springers that is not the right name but if they are they are fine to, most micro inverts are AOK, not sure if that is over feeding or not, if you can see left overs it is over feeding. All the Micro inverts need a lot of food to survive and can come in on plants, filters moved tank to tank, substrate, wood, rocks any thing really.

Bob

I must have really over-fed. Since the time i first posted this thread, I found 6 planaria in my CRS tank!! Manage to syphon 3 out of 6! I have only gotten the shrimp less than a week, and have fed them less than 3times. Do planaria really spread that quickly??

the tank is only 5-6weeks old!

I also found 3 hydras and manage to capture 2 out of 3 planaria in another tank that is still cycling!!! No shrimps and have not touch it since it started cycling!

I've started this tank the same time as the tank above!!

This is NOT a good start to my shrimp keeping :mad:

You have hydra /planaria/ and a host of other jumpy crawly things in a new tank!!!! What have you been putting in your tank? Very unusual to have any of these beasties in new tanks!

You have hydra /planaria/ and a host of other jumpy crawly things in a new tank!!!! What have you been putting in your tank? Very unusual to have any of these beasties in new tanks!

Benibachi substrate, a driftwood, anubias on driftwood, several peacock moss tied on SS mesh. That's about it!

Cycled with Ro water + salty shrimp mineral gh+ till tank was cycled. Did a water change before getting shrimps and that's it!

the tank that is still cycling is a mixture of ada aquasoil and benibachi. Partially planted, hence the use of aquasoil!

I've got hydra and planaria in this tank =\ and I don't know why!!!

Sounds like these critters came with your plants and driftwood. Just treat it with Internal Parasite clear before shrimps are added into the tank. Count your blessing that you are getting those now ;)

I am feeling so depressed. Found another 4 planaria on the glass of my tank which is still cycling :(

Saw 1 planaria on my shrimp tank but i can't get to it.

These guys are smart! they dart for the substrate as soon as they are threatened.

I found the possible cause of my planaria outbreak!

I kept the plants and moss in a holding tank together with my fish. Planaria apparently can come from cells in fish poop! Without a substrate on my holding tank, the fish poop collected on the driftwood/moss/plants. The planaria hitch hiked off the poop when i placed the plants into my shrimp tank and didn't help that i used water from the holding tank (more fish poop!). They didn't surface prior because they were feeding off the gunk in my substrate when i was cycling my shrimp tank!

They are appearing now because of lack of food (in the cycling tank) and the possibility of food (in my shrimp tank when i started feeding!).

All i have to do now is starve the bugger off! and catchout any that try to go for my shrimp! (DIE WORM FEEL THE WRATH OF A SHRIMP KEEPER!).

Dropping planaria in a diluted dish washer solution kills them!

If you can count them, it isn't an outbreak, and manageable.... Just siphon them when you see them, then KILL them......you'll eventually get rid of them, and time is on your side since the tank is cycling..... Good luck

(DIE WORM FEEL THE WRATH OF A SHRIMP KEEPER!).

This is awesome! haha

Dropping planaria in a diluted dish washer solution kills them!

Videos !!!

Videos !!!

I think it would be quite impossible for me to take any videos! I have trouble spotting them through the foam and they wrinkle up almost immediately, i doubt my only video equiptment, my iphone, will be able to capture it :/