spiderman shrimp?

smicko

Hi all, doing some intense shrimp staring this morning amd found a different shrimp.

I am wondering if this is a spiderman shrimp or cull blue velvet.

She only has one red dot on her head and another on her tale.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers mick

20131012_085446_1_zps79b0e6f1.jpg

It's a new cherry variation: The Little-Red-Riding-Hood-Shrimp.

I like it! :victorious:

Those are CULLS, strictly speaking in terms of the blue velvets, but their next generation if cross with a F2/3 Blue velvets will produce 90-100% blue velvet, so depending if your colony is newly form, still worth keeping within your group....or you can selectively breed "The Little-Red-Riding-Hood-Shrimp". :-)

I'll have to agree with BB, it's a cull & I'll be round this arvo to take it off your hands, hahaha :smiley_simmons: Seriously though, exploring the "little red ridinghood" shrimp might be an awesome idea if you've got a spare tank, very cool variation :encouragement:

Thanks for the speedy replies,

@ bb she is only f1so they will improve. I am thinking of putting her with high grade rillis to try and strengthen the blue in the middle of the body

@ garney I like your thinking

@ sqig mate if I ever have anything that would help you with a project it's yours no questions. The amount of peace and quiet you've given me by filling my daughters tanks with endlers is priceless lol.

Cheers mick

• HOF Member

I have a lot of F1 Blue Velvet juvies and I have kept 2 shrimp like yours in with them as they are a more intense blue than those without the red. Hoping to have some berried girls soon as they have saddles. If you have the room to keep them separate it's interesting to start your own line. My Rilis throw a lot of Blue Velvets so I'm interested to see what this next generation will be like. Just never seem to have enough tanks:dejection:

The amount of peace and quiet you've given me by filling my daughters tanks with endlers is priceless lol.

Cheers mick

Hahaha, yeah she does love it when I pull up out the front, just glad to be of service dude :victorious:

@smicko, if you put that shrimp in the pic with your high grade rili, you will loose Alot of red on the shrimplets which then becomes culls. The shrimplets may hv a stronger blue in the middle but won't hv have that solid red head or red tail. This is just from my experience.

+1, the rilli patterns supersedes all factors, then it's the colouration/depth, and then the "blue" ... But just my opinion only though. It took me 5-6 generation just to secure the pattern, and wouldn't do anything to jeopardise it.

Ok thanks, so how do I make the blue stronger in the middle of rilli? Is it just selecting the ones with the best blue like you would select red head/tail for normal rilli?

@ineke I am breeding blue velvet in another tank but also looking to start something different. I have put alot of different types, mostly culls with some good ones, in a tank and I am just seeing what comes out that I can play with for a few generations. No one ever has enough tanks lol.

Cheers mick

• HOF Member

I am at a stage too where I need to make some decisions. I keep culling and they breed as quick as I cull -I just can't keep up with them. Have to start getting homes for more of the culls.

Over the years, I've taken a VERY drastic step to selective breeding...... i.e. as the colony expands, and culling is continued to each generations, once I reach my magical 100, I will then cull again down to my best 2 pairs - 12 shrimps, sell the "good" culls", and donate the "average" culls, and start the selective breeding process again.... otherwise, the colony will be average, with only a handful of quality shrimps at best. Best way that works for me, due to limited tanks etc.....

• HOF Member

I realised I was doing it the other way- picking out the culls and leaving the rest now I think I need to pick what I want and sell or donate the rest as you do BB. I'm just not getting anywhere the way I was doing it:D

BB thay sounds like the best way to go. Do you keep some of your good "culls" for genetics?

I recently done a rilli tank with 50 mostly juvies and only found 2 pairs worth breeding but I put some of the better culls in the display to see how they go. Do you think it's worthwhile keeping some of the better ones as the best in the tank had to come from somewhere.

So when are you culling the bluebolt tank? I'd love a donation of an average cull from your stock lol

Cheers mick

You mean you didn't get the bag of bb culls I send you last week ! Damn Aust Post ! LOL

Haha. No I didn't damn aus post again, I will call them monday and sort it out lol

Cheers mick