Help deciphering API kit

Wraithie

post-346-139909864532_thumb.jpgI'm using an API gh and kh test kit and would appreciate some clarification on how to read the results, I have included a photo of the 'conversion chart' they provide.

So if I use 8 drops of KH solution it gives a KH of 8, easy, but how do I read and convert the GH? I used 4 drops meaning a ppm GH/KH of 71.6, what does this mean?

post-3442-139909863182_thumb.jpg

but how do I read and convert the GH? I used 4 drops meaning a ppm GH/KH of 71.6' date=' what does this mean?

*[/quote']

It means GH is 4.

They use the same table for KH and GH.

So your water parameters are

KH = 8

GH = 4

1dGH is equal to 17.9ppm of calcium & magnesium in the water causeing it to be hard, then if you have a reading of 2dGH then it's twice as much calcium & magnesium so it's twice 17.9ppm & therefore 35.8ppm. I hope that makes it more simple to understand. :encouragement:

edit: ppm = Parts Per Million

Just re-looked at the sheet & the drops are the same for KH as for GH 1 drop = 1dGH/KH

Thanks for your help, I still find it all confusing, but 1drop = 1dh/KH makes sense

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a stupid conversion chart....and the usage instructions are not much better! :mad:

That test kit sucks on many levels!

1dGH is equal to 17.9ppm of calcium & magnesium in the water causeing it to be hard' date=' then if you have a reading of 2dGH then it's twice as much calcium & magnesium so it's twice 17.9ppm & therefore 35.8ppm. I hope that makes it more simple to understand. :encouragement:

edit: ppm = Parts Per Million

Just re-looked at the sheet & the drops are the same for KH as for GH 1 drop = 1dGH/KH[/quote']

I should just clarify that it isn't directly 17.9g of Ca or Mg, it's 17.9 g of CaCO3 equivalent. So adding 18g of MgCO3 will not give you an exact 1 dGH or 1dKH due to the different molecular weight of Magnesium to Calcium.

A pain in the arse i know, but you have to convert to moles and then back to CaCO3.

Had this exact same problem when i first bought my GH and KH test kit, drove me insane for a few days! Ended up finding an answer on the internet (after much frustration)

Gj for clearing it up guys, that chart is absolutely ridiculous

CBS, CRS, SW, GB have very similar water parameter needs

PH: 6.2 – 6.6

KH: 0 – 1

GH: 4 – 6

TDS: 100 – 180

Water temp: 21 – 23

beaten

beaten

C'mon mate' date=' gotta be quicker on the "draw" :encouragement:[/quote']

Hahaha, you are the quickest fingers in the west! :victorious:

Actually, I just re read that & it sounds a bit risque' :barbershop_quartet_

In my defence, I posted more than the requested information. :barbershop_quartet_

:p

Hahaha' date=' you are the quickest fingers in the west! :victorious:

Actually, I just re read that & it sounds a bit risque' :barbershop_quartet_[/quote']

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!