Opae ula (Halocaridina Rubra) shrimp - anyone in Oz have this?

jayc

[h=1]Opae ula (Halocaridina Rubra) Shrimp[/h]Originates from Hawaii.

Lives in brackish water. Tolerates extreme temps.

Live 20 years. Can survive in a jar with no air or water change.

Looks like a RCS only a bit brighter reds.

Almost unbelievable.

Anyone seen or have them in Oz?

I think I had stumbled across these shrimp once before online and from memory they are actually endangered from the introduction of cherry shrimp. From past reading these Hawaii shrimp are the only endemic shrimp to the island, which to my mind makes them good candiates for importation to Australia. A, they are a sole source shrimp and should be free of other pathogens that shrimp from other parts of the world could carry from being in contact with other shrimp. The down side is if they are as hardy as claimed and adaptable to all ranges of water gH and temp then they potentially could be more of a problem than cherry shrimp if they got into the wild. They do look like a lovely shrimp, and probably have as much variation or potential for variation as other shrimp. I did read however that most of these shrimp are currently wild caught and only one place claims to be selling captive bred stock.

Nice find. The three cylinder tanks with the connecting tubes was very cool too. Thought it was very interesting as well to think that these shrimp were sent into space. Thanks for sharing the info.