Urent advice Dragon Fly Nympths

Callan

Hello all,

I have suffered fairly significant losses in my shrimp tanks and after stripping the tanks found that three of my tanks had nymphs in them. I have traced it back to some fox tail plant that I added a couple of months ago. It is the only thing it could be, because the only recent additions was some shrimp I purchased. I am know sure it couldn't be that. I am now concerned that they could be in my mosses and other plants and am unsure what I should do to treat the tanks and plants in case there are more. Cant believe my luck. I am starting to feel like I take three steps forward and four backwards. It is really starting to do my head in. I was just starting to increase my collection again after loosing some more expensive shrimp to a faulty heater that jammed on and cooked them. My CRS, CBS and rilli,s had started breeding again and now this happens.....

Any advise would be appreciated before I seriously consider chucking in the towel and cutting my losses.

Hello all' date='

I have suffered fairly significant losses in my shrimp tanks and after stripping the tanks found that three of my tanks had nymphs in them. I have traced it back to some fox tail plant that I added a couple of months ago. It is the only thing it could be, because the only recent additions was some shrimp I purchased. I am know sure it couldn't be that. I am now concerned that they could be in my mosses and other plants and am unsure what I should do to treat the tanks and plants in case there are more. Cant believe my luck. I am starting to feel like I take three steps forward and four backwards. It is really starting to do my head in. I was just starting to increase my collection again after loosing some more expensive shrimp to a faulty heater that jammed on and cooked them. My CRS, CBS and rilli,s had started breeding again and now this happens.....

Any advise would be appreciated before I seriously consider chucking in the towel and cutting my losses.[/quote']

Daamn..sorry bout ur bad luck

Dragon fly nympths are a pain.. ive had them before and removed them manually and killed them.

Sorry i cant be of more help, but u gotta sit and wait, net them up and kill them..

Not sure if there are any chemicals that remove them sorry..

That's devastating .... Take a breath/break, and re-start the collection..don't let this set back get you.:-) I know its tough and difficult, and most of us have been there, but take baby steps .... :encouragement:

Pretty much any chemical that would kill the nymphs will be toxic to shrimp.

You could pull everything out of your tanks and treat individually. A dose of condys crystals aka potassium permanganate should kill any nymphs or eggs as it knocks off snails. Just add enough to water to make it turn a dark pink or very light purple and soak your plants and mosses for five to fifteen minutes depending on type as some mosses can be sensitive. A really good check of the substrate for any little hatched nymphs and that should be it.

For some mayfly/stonefly nymphs in my zeb tank, I waited until they all metamorphosed rather than pulling the tank down but that only took a couple of weeks, and dragonfly nymphs take months to years to complete their nymph stages, all the while snacking on anything they can get their jaws on i.e. Your shrimp.

Thanks for the replies and kind words. I will definitely try the condys crystals. I have stripped the tanks and moved the remaining shrimp to a safe tank.

Hey Callan

It was good to meet you the other day & sorry to hear about those damned Dragon Fly nymphs.

Chin up - many of us have had the same sorts of issues.

All the best ;)

Hi sorry to hear the bad news . Can anyone put a pic of these things up so us noobs can see what they look like? Cheers

hope it gets better . Daniel

Dude, bad luck! I've have had nymphs before but luckily was only one and was able to kill it before too much damage was done.

Sometimes these things happen like my shrimp wipeout earlier this year.

Hi sorry to hear the bad news . Can anyone put a pic of these things up so us noobs can see what they look like? Cheers

hope it gets better . Daniel

Check out the "Shrimp Health and Care" subforum.

The Diseases and Diagnostic or Aquarium/Tank Creatures 101 posts will have pics of dragon fly nymphs and damsel fly nymphs amongst other things.