Sign in to follow this  
jayc

Shrimp Diseases and Diagnosis

JLG

sdlTBfanUK & Crabb
Thank for the insight and wisdom.. I just may need get a sep tank for the guppies... and will look for the Tangerine Tigers is there another common name for them ? 

Edited by JLG
  • Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

I'm not aware of any other names for them and think they are widely available in most countries, althouth I know Australia have strict import rules so they may not have made it to there?

Simon 

jayc

Tangerine tiger are in Australia. Just need to find someone who has them and would like to sell some. That's the difficult part I suppose.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Not sure where JLB is based, just guessing?? I found this seller in Australia but they are out of stock at the moment, but as JayC states,  they must be available in Australia! I don't know anything about the reliability of the seller as I am the othe side of the world?

https://abquatics.shop/collections/caridina-shrimp/products/tangerine-tigers

Simon

• Like 1

Crabby

I've never heard them called anything other than Tangerine Tiger Shrimp, or TTS. I have heard abquatics is a good, high quality seller. If I could get my colony going I'd be happy to give you some... but alas we aren't quite there yet, still waiting for colony growth! They can be found pretty easily in Australia, if you're located here, and you can easily find some in most metropolitan areas either at aquarium stores or through hobbyists. I get most of my shrimp from Gumtree sellers, and they're always very nice people with great prices. Good luck!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Chels
      Absolutely. I'm researching how to keep the PH low enough to keep them happy rn. Even a buffering substrate + salty bee alone doesn't cut it, since they need a 5.5-6.7. I would need a lot of driftwood, very little plants (maybe just a tiny amount of floaters - salvina, not the dreaded duckweed), and a constant supply of botanicals for all of the tannins. Now I understand why all of the rare pinto breeders have such sparse tanks. I always wondered why they have so very little plants.  I'm wondering if the PH regulators would help.. though I'm sure it would somehow kill super sensitive caridina. I know a lot of people experience losses even with the right parameters, and spending $500 at a time on shrimp just to have them die under the perfect conditions isn't a deal breaker for me. I went through much of the same keeping finches. I had very rare color variations and I was always pretty much trying to keep them alive. Spending $1k at a time on breeding stock is a must. At one point I had a whole finch room with racks of cages, and larger aviaries in my living room. The only reason I stopped is when my brother died and everything kind of took a back seat to my grief. I prefer the challenge and keeping/breeding rare color variations is worth it. That's the best way imho to elevate any breeding hobby. With Flip Aquatics, they have a 30 day holding period for their imported + rare caridina variations. That is huge since imported shrimp tend to die for no reason (or many reasons) during that time frame according to everything I've read/watched. That's a giant leg up. There is also a breeder I just found nearby - The Grove Aquatics - with the rarer variations. If they can provide the same 30 day buffer or if they have tank bred then I'm in business with 2 different lines to start with. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I have duckweed in one tank and I have tried several times to get rid of it but it keeps re-appering so I would recommend you avoid that. TheCaridina shrimp are a lot more difficult to keep so do lots of research before you start dwn that route, and be prepared for the fact it may not work even with the best attention and parameters/ Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thanks for updating us, whether good or bad it is nice to know what happens! I am delighted to here you are having some success, thats one up on my attempt!!!! I have just fished out about a dozen wild type cherry shrimp (I'm a bit over-run with them) and plan to put them in the old TB shrimp tank later just to see what happens. In theory the water is not right for cherry shrimp, and as the shrimp are brown/clear and the tank is very drab and brown they will be difficut to see anyway. Plus, the fish may eat them? Simon
    • beanbag
      To put a final update on this thread: There was initially a batch of babies born in Feb 2020 consisting bkk and blue bolts.  They all grew up lively for the first few months, but from about month 7 til now, the BKK have been dying off one per several weeks with short antennae syndrome.  A whole tank dose of Minocycline did not save them or prevent new disease.  They never got larger than juvie size even after a year.  There is only one survivor BKK who grew up to full size and is still doing well now.  All the BB survived and seem to be doing well.  One BKK, born in July 2020 got evacuated to the Amano tank and is doing well, although also never grew up past juvie size.  I'll see what happens to that guy over the next few months.  I'm starting to think that RWP X BB (their parents) results in healthy blue bolts and genetically defective BKK.
    • Chels
      Thank you Simon!! L Bretz does ship to the lower USA so that's exciting. He has a ton of neos! I may add another blue velvet or 2. Aquahun's website is currently down so I wasn't able to check them out. Hope they're doing ok. Flip Aquatics by far has the best caridina selection.  We definitely keep the AC running, and always keep it about 68-70 room temp so that shouldn't be a problem. Right now here in the mountains it's in the 30s or less (we may get snow this week) but I haven't had to use the heater I bought. It's just an expensive algae collector at this point.  Just in case anyone else is looking, here are other breeders who ship in/to the US that I found: The Shrimp Farm Planet Inverts Elite Inverts AZ Gardens Lucky Aquatics Shrimp Envy Joe's Shrimp Shack  Shrimpery & Aquatics  So Shrimp The Grove Aquatics Coastal Gems USA Blue Crown Aquatic Joe's Aqua Sales