Shrimp Diseases and Diagnosis

jayc

I'm not aware of any other names for them and think they are widely available in most countries, althouth I know Australia have strict import rules so they may not have made it to there?

Simon 

Tangerine tiger are in Australia. Just need to find someone who has them and would like to sell some. That's the difficult part I suppose.

• Like 1

Not sure where JLB is based, just guessing?? I found this seller in Australia but they are out of stock at the moment, but as JayC states,  they must be available in Australia! I don't know anything about the reliability of the seller as I am the othe side of the world?

https://abquatics.shop/collections/caridina-shrimp/products/tangerine-tigers

Simon

• Like 1

I've never heard them called anything other than Tangerine Tiger Shrimp, or TTS. I have heard abquatics is a good, high quality seller. If I could get my colony going I'd be happy to give you some... but alas we aren't quite there yet, still waiting for colony growth! They can be found pretty easily in Australia, if you're located here, and you can easily find some in most metropolitan areas either at aquarium stores or through hobbyists. I get most of my shrimp from Gumtree sellers, and they're always very nice people with great prices. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have two red Rilli shrimps with abnormalities. I am very new to shrimp and I want to make sure they aren’t diseased or carrying parasites.

this one has a slight shell discoloration

image.jpeg.ef3af495eb5471682cda7c872d37592d.jpeg

this one has yellow/white things under her saddle.

image.jpeg.9721068dbb36143090461e3c1c4d9d68.jpeg

• Like 1

I can't see anything wrong in the pictures but they are a bit small to be able to see properly.

The yellow (saddle) on the second picture is the shrimps eggs.

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Really pleased to hear that your yellow shrimp tank is sorted now and you didn't even have to buy any new shrimps to repopulate, bonus!

I hope the treatment of the CRS goes well, Ihaen't used any of those reatments so can't advise on those but would go with the info on the thread as that would be updated with the latest information/advice! 

Simon

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kthien said:

Tetracycline seems to have worked a treat 

Thanks for the feedback. Glad it worked for you.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update and I am pleased to hear it worked! Cross contamination is very easy to do but difficult to avoid with most people only using one item (like a net etc) between several tanks without giving it much thought!

Simon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I wanted to keep tetracycline on hand and noticed in the OP, Oxymav B was suggested after Blue Planet. At 100g, it is much cheaper than BP, as well as oxytetraycline from eBay. As it is not intended for use in aquarium, rather birds, is it safe to use? TIA

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kthien said:

is it safe to use?

It should be. Oxytetracycline is still a tetracyline antibiotic. Usage is still the same - Dissolve in water to treat bacteria. Doesn't matter if it's for birds or fish or shrimp.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, jayc said:

It should be. Oxytetracycline is still a tetracyline antibiotic. Usage is still the same - Dissolve in water to treat bacteria. Doesn't matter if it's for birds or fish or shrimp.

Thanks jayc. I contacted the website selling it and they advised against it so wanted reassurance was all. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kthien said:

the website selling it and they advised against it

They are playing it safe, as they have a reputation to uphold. So they will always say no. 

All the tetracycline products I have are also sold in pet shops for birds. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

What is wrong with my amano shrimp? I've had this shrimp in an established planted tank for a couple months. After drip acclimating and placing it in my tank, it turned a milky cloudy color. I think I noticed a spot or two on it at the time, there seems to be more. It's hard to tell because they hide all the time. I never thought it would last this long but it has. I have it separated but it's acting normal and eating. I have other amanos in my tank but they do not appear to be affected. When I got it from my LFS, the shrimp was being difficult, zipping around the tank and even tried to jump but hit the guys hand and fell back into the tank. I purchased another amano out of the same tank on the same trip and it does not show any of the same issues. I'm pretty stumped. All my searching online end in no results or dead ends.

IMG_5050.JPEG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, alkemist said:

What is wrong with my amano shrimp?

It looks like a bacterial infection. 

Especially with the Brown spots (or Chitinolytic bacterial) disease.

1 hour ago, alkemist said:

it turned a milky cloudy color.

Turning milky white coloured (muscular necrosis) sorta confirms a bacterial infection.

It's good that it is still eating.

I would suggest reading this thread linked below ... 

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/5052-shrimp-diseases-and-diagnosis/?do=findComment&comment=70743

Especially the bit about treatment using Carvacrol 80+% (Oregano oil). 

Dilute 1 drop of Oregano oil 80+% to 90 drops of water (1:90ratio). Use this diluted oregano oil and add it to algae wafer and feed it to the shrimp. Keep this treatment of feeding carvacrol infused food to the shrimp for 3 days.

Do not drip the oil into the tank directly. It has to be soaked into the food.

You should be able to find Carvacrol oil online on Ebay or Amazon or in health food shops. 

Make sure you keep this shrimp separated, as Chitinolytic bacterial disease is highly contagious to the other shrimp.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m looking into oil of oregano options and it looks like there are products all over the map, especially ones that don’t list the carvacrol %. The ones that have carvacrol 80%+ all seem to be mixed with something, such as olive oil. Is that safe to use? I saw one that was supposed to be easy to mix with water as well (even though this will be dosed in food).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alkemist said:

The ones that have carvacrol 80%+ all seem to be mixed with something, such as olive oil. Is that safe to use?

It mustn't have any other additives. Definitely do not get the one with olive oil.

How about this? ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/333691848858?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4db195889a:g:qUUAAOSwmNFfOrIX&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSprd4IgPv6LBzlteBBg9Pe2s9Q3ArmIo1QP0X6Ta4faUbS2M1Ys3CL2Mu%2BelZ%2FmNyyn2BdrWifj%2F7eivVpHz3BkLBiSZFAl899%2BEGp6QvJ76aY8ZJzOqxmtowysTPUvKNsgBttVdLmLctFvkZyF5ZP0Lkiwy%2BfGGT%2B%2BNx%2B923ixcNKB7Maq%2FRsFRCHLU%2FIM1294sP1feactfoHDtRURtrhxNq%2Bh3vJ26jE8UcNgKyPmZeUkWqbt2XXNJzzh3e4zyGQ5flX2bva9fVk1tp9LVj2mIFPmHbin7rzA6ZKKP6MZZf9J0rxGzshZ1VsyOTsd%2BA9q5UDomLOHUSyzvIRuUehVAPwmRn2xc9RIHXJLHjVbw%2Bd1X9HvOmXiqInNsl2i3Ja7PoHpY1kL0OotKcXyfk1pSKnPJF%2B6bKeAvTBRVw3QcZzvOlrVNt5GEQ4kN6YHGSsT6vB%2FgXHhaBtcu6%2FMOvdl41pSorGNep5suafKBcPQP52nqxgnaMv8o%2FA1Nnyb%2BL2hwwaVhZmfcEudxUW%2F7MMmYV96LoTAMQLJjec%2F8WJIF36Wmg%2FTauktuv%2F%2B3Sgw5l2hruVTLNaFTF6bCJhAFcY9nPKI%2F%2Fzu3lhL3tHx09KUyQDzcKHSSOCf6rfGpvoJh2dpx8GTaF2nzYtL7vBHc%2FDbHeRKLSrdaak%2BE%2BeEl%2Bo7f9MzmFBshKzgoAEtZvqPM510vcJiZCqfOfeaLoGc%2F2P7x7n4b0NbtmHJWRhjU3LR0LNGywb476XnMuN2j7LP5%2BWOAyHIj97HUH%2FzlE7VdskJbr8DR4OIzc0hgeZ%2FKzVavZYGA%2BZcmnp1713PWb91n5|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABFBMsP-csqJf

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/151500138650?hash=item23461ca89a:g:kx8AAOSwexNanr62

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153875179746?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item23d3ace8e2:g:IWwAAOSwahVfwbOU&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsStEKTPzZMfQmny3knR97t0KB2ArgpXVEqh%2F6kDVwf%2Byipwmqr8UtRzMFvfzZHqKiVojCKuKlOPutvULi2ojWd%2Bfcr%2FMTZPTfK3iFPqvS0WsyIuwzFVj%2Bm%2FV8HzL8K5E2Kj8OsOEMN6TjpMh6aUm9oVNPogum3Su9XHhVkx13Lp6HE4omsSNkeUNBJQixERlhjL%2FaPKMQLn8ljERSEIQuZhxRArt%2Bm9jLOJkn0yTFRxoi8sMpAW9C7i6f%2FXPa%2Bf1XyQZZVBxzAOn7J%2B7R%2BzkhX02Fu2ek9XrguI6MyG%2BG8VdTs8%2Fd4%2B6tXvhqNjs3JW%2BV%2FXQMWmRsXk3QWmPjKiqaHitzddW9A4sImIFIjTLfndrkgWCgu6ta7sx3iYzr4YDUu%2BNANJtBRKoZUzLii6Y9aJoXmAKqrqLeGHnqULHyhdNtHJWdyZkHrQpBo2sngaW63Zw4liEy3r0D7NitRz4KeZpIKc45uKecQKVUr0OjmDTd7e8aPc1eyaIrLpNzvqANgfmC5Mf4Ar7qM2NQ%2F3irQG%2FH%2FSwAppSMfZGZb%2FgoBw1B9jYiiTK1xrlqg6kvtcPLih33SR1dME4WJOonnoIsHY6mGFEZpzq6RYYbI%2Fs2h%2FCXtFjCGJhBIVlBhvCyVDu2%2BXGZc5CGhsZzC7GM%2FqS3CiyFK%2BaIOUQap2GXH2KmyewZVW9CdMOieveuJCy4wCSsJ3tkLlcC3bLgePlnpgPJp5%2FNmiH%2F3euF7GD2ivV6SuiaDz7hglEk45Z%2FvB85knM%2BBkqXwtt1scOT%2FIUwINhAdAn0Y22ZKb31P4HXntGNqyfRz8GvkLpkhrQRf92uJ0Psm|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABFBMsv-csqJf

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2

Are you sure this is even an Amano shrimp? It doesn't have any signs of the usual tiny black spots! Does it compare favourably with the other Amanos you have in size and shape etc?

6 hours ago, jayc said:

It mustn't have any other additives. Definitely do not get the one with olive oil.

Thanks for the links. I looked over the original disease post and it appears to be in the advanced stages. Do you think it can still be saved with the oil of oregano? Should I also try adding some hydrogen peroxide into the holding water?

5 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Are you sure this is even an Amano shrimp? It doesn't have any signs of the usual tiny black spots! Does it compare favourably with the other Amanos you have in size and shape etc?

Thanks for the links. I looked over the original disease post and it appears to be in the advanced stages. Do you think it can still be saved with the oil of oregano? Should I also try adding some hydrogen peroxide into the holding water?

When I saw it in the store and in the bag on the way home, I was pretty sure it looked like an amano. I believe it had spots and dashes. Size was larger but was inline, imo, with a female amano. Though this photo is from the evening I put it in the tank. The top one has the markings of an amano and the bottom one is the sick shrimp in question. It lost all markings right away, but I thought the milkiness covered up the markings at that point. Also looks like the spot on the shrimp was a lot more mild than it is today.

https://imgur.com/a/6ZGQztz

Edited by alkemist
formatting
  • Like 1

Thats a great clear photo. I am still of the belief it isn't an amano, even that photo from the first night doesn't look like it is an amano. The cloudiness comes from the flesh under the shell and the usual tiny black dots are on the shell so the cloudiness wouldn't affect the visability of the usual tiny black dots. In fact it looks like our river shrimp, so maybe you have similar is USA?

I personally wouldn't waste too much time/effort unless you are convinced it really is an amano. I would keep it in a seperate container in case it is sick and mull it over and just see what happens?

12 hours ago, alkemist said:

Do you think it can still be saved with the oil of oregano?

If it is still eating, yes! Do all you can to care for the creatures in your charge.

12 hours ago, alkemist said:

Should I also try adding some hydrogen peroxide into the holding water?

It doesn't hurt to add some.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Thats a great clear photo. I am still of the belief it isn't an amano, even that photo from the first night doesn't look like it is an amano.

I am starting to doubt myself that it is an amano shrimp. Someone mentioned elsewhere that it might be a Malawa Shrimp? We have ghost shrimp in the US but I think they are different from the google search from Australian river shrimp.

6 minutes ago, jayc said:

If it is still eating, yes! Do all you can to care for the creatures in your charge.

I ordered some oil of oregano that you listed off ebay and hope it will help. Unfortunately it will take a few good days to get here. In the meantime, I've been putting a little hydrogen peroxide in the water. So far it's still staying pretty hardy and eating. I put extra floating plants in the tub from the start of quarantine and today I dropped a small piece of algae tab in there. The shrimp still prefers to feed off the floaters. When I dose the food, should I remove the floaters so it concentrates on the medicated food? I have the floaters in there for comfort along with natural food and filtration.

• Like 1