My params are:

kh 6

gh 25

ph 8

amm 0

nitri 0

nitra 10-15 ppm

temp 23

I tested the water coz my little guys where hiding a lot so i wondered why. I have just started using ro water with salty shrimp to remineralize am i doing something wrong cheers

Ron

Woah!! Is that in dGH or ppm, what test kit are you using? What shrimp are you keeping? For cherries you want a GH 4-14 & KH 0-10 & for crystals you want GH 4-6 & KH 0-2. Are you able to test your TDS? You might be over mineralizing the water with the SaltyShrimp but I can't be certain without knowing the TDS :dejection:

edit: I just re-read your post & I'm guessing with the ph that high you have cherries, might want to bring that down to around 7.2 - 7.4 as well.

Yeah iv been working on my ph down aswell but struggling :( im using api test kit and it (painstakingly) took 25 drops. Iv just realised iv gotta convert it haha still learning this test. But its still extremely high

Yes, it does. Over mineralising with Salty Shrimp will raise GH an KH.

Some straight RO water every water change should reduce it slowly.

Yes it would & it has, before you started adding minerals both GH & KH should have been zero. Adding minerals has raised them both & it is normal for the GH to be higher than the KH but not to that degree. I have a feeling that your KH is what is keeping your PH so high as well.

The API test kits are great cause 1 drop = 1 degree of hardness, i.e. 1drop =1dGH of both GH & KH, there's no need to convert it to ppm.

There are a few ways to reduce your hardness, like peat moss, driftwood & IAL, but I would do water changes with pure RO water to dilute the levels down to where you want it. :encouragement:

• 1 month later...

Ok guys iv managed to get params right now one last additional question iv got a 10 litre water container that i buy my ro in can i put salty shrimp staight into the container? The reason i ask is i have been told the it slowly depletes over time? Coz it would be a hell of a lot easier that way haha

I store my RO water in air tight drums & mix it up just before I do a waterchange. :victorious:

Hi squig Yeah thats what i have been donig but it would be heaps easier if i could do it while in storage