Chiller

Rambozo

I have been looking around auction sites and sighted a chiller for $40. It has a temp probe and a cord used as the chiller.

I am just wondering if this is a good option for a two footer. I know that this is no $300 resun chiller. But just wondering if is an option other than a frozen bottle

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Here is the link.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=141048177404

I would have to see it as well but I am also very skeptical of it's effectiveness :confused:

Sounds a bit dodgy to you too squigg?

I would generally think that the cheaper ones would be peltier type chillers and less effective when you have a high ambient temperature.

I wouldn't expect to see a compressed refrigerant chiller for that price.

I would generally think that the cheaper ones would be peltier type chillers and less effective when you have a high ambient temperature.

I have to agree, but there is also the fact that the cooling is done by a cord which I just can't see working effectively as the cooling would have to be conducted through the cord & I believe there would be way too much energy lost with this process. Unless the gas is running directly through the cord I just can't see it being effective :dejection:

dont be to surprised guys

Things like this happens

lmao I'm about to give away a teco chiller because the temperature probe is gone and I couldn't be bothered opening it

Hahaha, I guess your right Gary but your chiller doesn't use a cord as the element, that's the main part that doesn't add up for me, lol :encouragement:

I have been looking around auction sites and sighted a chiller for $40. It has a temp probe and a cord used as the chiller.

I am just wondering if this is a good option for a two footer. I know that this is no $300 resun chiller. But just wondering if is an option other than a frozen bottle

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

I'm having the same problem with hot water. I'm doing an experiment as we speak. The temperature in the room is 25 degrees, I've got a breakfast bowl with water which was 25.5 degrees, at 9.10am I aimed a fan over the bowl and turned it on, now at 9.41 the water is 22.2 that's a pretty dramatic drop of 3 degrees in 40 minutes.

I'm not sure how long it's going to take to make ice cubes, but this is a cheap way of cooling water. I'm not saying that a tank would drop that quickly, but if you were to put an ice bottle in the water in an emergency and then put on a fan for the rest of the time, you're water shouldn't rise and may even get a bit cooler.

While you're doing this you could also wrap insulation around your tank to stop anymore heat from getting in or coolness escaping.

Temp at 9.46 is 22 degrees.

We used to chill our Bristlenose tank by putting a "everyday" 40cm pedestal fan ontop of the tank

literally 10cm from the water surface

It used to cool the tank quite well

The temperature in the room is 25 degrees' date='

Temp at 9.46 is 22 degrees.[/quote']

How the heck does it drop below ambient? With just a fan.

Hey does it really matter, it just works. It's got something to do with evaporation, I don't know how to explain it, it's now 21.6 and room temperature has gone up to 26.

I'm guessing if I insulated the bowl it would be even cooler.

Okay it's 10.40 am an hour and 40 minutes later and the temperature seems to have stalled on 21.4 degrees which is a drop of 4 degrees, not bad for a fan.

This could be difference between a good outcome and a tragedy for some people, especially me, as I have to keep the room warm for the Discus and L numbers etc.

I'm now going to put the fan on the tank and see what happens, I'll be happy if it doesn't get any warmer and a bonus if it drops a degree or so.

Evaporative cooling, as air moves past water it will cause the water to evaporate. The heat necessary to cause evaporation is drawn out of the passing airstream & hence the air & water is cooled. The human body uses this principal to control body temp by varying the amount of moisture on the skin surface(perspiration). The evaporation of this moisture cools the skin & helps to lower the body's temp. This process is also used in the outback to cool water canteens, the canvas canteens are hung from a cars bumper bar & the water inside keeps the canvas damp, the constant air passing over the damp canteen while the car is moving cools the water inside so you always have a cold drink. :encouragement:

Hey does it really matter' date=' it just works. It's got something to do with evaporation, I don't know how to explain it, it's now 21.6 and room temperature has gone up to 26.

I'm guessing if I insulated the bowl it would be even cooler.[/quote']

No, I'm not doubting your results either. :D

Just seems too good to be true, that it can be that simple.

Taken from another site:

Evaporation occurs as water molecules heat up and begin vibrating with excess energy. This vibration will cause water molecule bonds to break, turning water from a liquid to a vapor state. The heat required to do this is provided by the environment, whether a surface or surrounding air. As heat is pulled from that environment, its temperature falls.

By running a fan over the water it will increase the rate of evaporation and increase the cooling effect.

Evaporative cooling' date=' as air moves past water it will cause the water to evaporate. The heat necessary to cause evaporation is drawn out of the passing airstream & hence the air & water is cooled. The human body uses this principal to control body temp by varying the amount of moisture on the skin surface(perspiration). The evaporation of this moisture cools the skin & helps to lower the body's temp. This process is also used in the outback to cool water canteens, the canvas canteens are hung from a cars bumper bar & the water inside keeps the canvas damp, the constant air passing over the damp canteen while the car is moving cools the water inside so you always have a cold drink. :encouragement:[/quote']

Uh thanks Squigs mate. I sort get that is how the heat is transferred.

But I still don't get how it can go below ambient temps.

As you can see, I don't have much on at work. Answering every thread. Friiiiddddaaaayyyyyyy

Basically the evaporating water molecules need energy to fly around, they take that from the bowl of water in the form of heat. As the bowl has heat removed, it gets colder.

No' date=' I'm not doubting your results either. :D

Just seems too good to be true, that it can be that simple.[/quote']

I've done this before but on big tanks on a 40 degree day and I didn't take any measurements, I was just trying to keep the fish alive and it worked, I only lost one out of hundreds.

I would suggest to anyone going to do this to start early in the morning while the temperature is still cool, that way the temperature shouldn't go up too much or might stay the same or even go down a bit.

Evaporative cooling' date=' as air moves past water it will cause the water to evaporate. The heat necessary to cause evaporation is drawn out of the passing airstream & hence the air & water is cooled. The human body uses this principal to control body temp by varying the amount of moisture on the skin surface(perspiration). The evaporation of this moisture cools the skin & helps to lower the body's temp. This process is also used in the outback to cool water canteens, the canvas canteens are hung from a cars bumper bar & the water inside keeps the canvas damp, the constant air passing over the damp canteen while the car is moving cools the water inside so you always have a cold drink. :encouragement:[/quote']

What he said.

Thanks Squiggles.

Evaporation occurs as water molecules heat up and begin vibrating with excess energy. This vibration will cause water molecule bonds to break' date=' turning water from a liquid to a vapor state. [/quote']

Pics or it didn't happen :p

Nah, jk.

I get it.

Thermal Conduction. The heat from the body of water causes evaporation. This water vapour has trapped heat in it. As you blow it away with the fan, more vapour evaporates drawing more heat out of the body of water. The temp in the water falls to the point where there is not enough heat to turn water into vapour. If you didn't have a fan blowing away the vapour, the temps would only reach ambient temps. But by actively adding energy to remove the vapour above the surface, you have created a cooler void where more vapour can replace the ones blown away, until the water temps reach that point where it's not hot enough to create more vapour.

By way of Thermal Radiation. By also removing the heat away from the surface, more heat from the water replaces that void.

Pics or it didn't happen :p

Nah' date=' jk.

I get it.

Thermal Conduction. The heat from the body of water causes evaporation. This water vapour has trapped heat in it. As you blow it away with the fan, more vapour evaporates drawing more heat out of the body of water. The temp in the water falls to the point where there is not enough heat to turn water into vapour. If you didn't have a fan blowing away the vapour, the temps would only reach ambient temps. But by actively adding energy to remove the vapour above the surface, you have created a cooler void where more vapour can replace the ones blown away, until the water temps reach that point where it's not hot enough to create more vapour.

By way of Thermal Radiation. By also removing the heat away from the surface, more heat from the water replaces that void.[/quote']

By George, I think he's got it!! hahaha :victorious: Also, higher air speed creates a lower air temp. Just like if you blow air slowly out of your mouth it is a lot warmer than if you blow it fast. :encouragement:

After 25yrs so am I dude, it's the reason I love this hobby so much. I am insatiable for learning new stuff about fish & shrimp! :victorious:

I am insatiable for learning new stuff about fish & shrimp! :victorious:

.... and women ...... just saying!