Opening up SKF

Dean

Opening up SKF  

1. 1.

• yes, allow everyone to see the forum
    • no, keep it a private forum

Hi Guys/Girls

this has been asked before but think it might be good to get everyone's opinion again :)

We would like everyone to give your opinion about whether we should open up the forum to the public???

please vote yes or no.....

If we decide to go public, it means we will open up the forum so it can be "viewed only" by the public.

the classifieds and library will still remain closed for viewing unless you are a premium member logged in of course.

to post threads, comment, reply etc will still require you to be logged in.

new members will still need to post a hello thread before being able to post in any other area....

all comments and ideas are welcome so please let us know how you want this forum to run???

We want to create a forum for all to enjoy and majority rules

We would like every one to either vote of express there thoughts on this decision as it will affect all members

I think keeping it private could only benefit the forum & its members. I believe this is the reason we have such an amazing forum & it also encourages people to contribute & get involved in the community. :victorious:

I agree that a level of investment in the community before being able to see all is a good thing!

$12.50 is nothing compared to the wealth of knowledge and awesome generosity shared by members. My vote is to keep it closed

I think it works really well how it is.

The forum community exhibits great care for it's members and I fear that could be lost if it's opened up.

I think I'd be right in saying all WA members want it as is for obvious reasons. But not the first time I was wrong

I'm part of another forum that is open to public, and whenever there is a moderation issue someone brings up the age old "you don't edit a financial members posts even if controversial, rararaaa"

• HOF Member

I like it as it is we have a lovely community and some people put a lot of time and effort into making it a fun learning experience. We can see how other forums that are open have gone and it would be a shame to let that happen here.

If it is a money issue perhaps we could pay a little more for our yearly subscription?

I love the community as it is now, and anyone who is serious about wanting to know more about their shrimp will put the time and effort in to contribute and open up the forum.

I think I'd be right in saying all WA members want it as is for obvious reasons. But not the first time I was wrong

And that applies to members of certain other states too. :)

I agree with everybody else. Keeping it private and keep protects this awesome community.

I'm okay with whichever way it goes. The one big advantage I can see with opening it up to public is more exposure but also those who aren't sure about signing up or what they're getting will have a better feel for what the forum provides. I have been asked on more than one occasion why should I pay $12.50, what makes it worth spending my money?

In saying that $12.50 is nothing in the overall scheme of things but I've also had others imply that because its private there is obviously a lot of dodgy dealings going on, that one really annoys me. Dean and several others have tried to stay on top of this and keep the place honest and above board. Opening up will bring in some rabble but provided its kept an eye on then I don't think its an issue.

One key thing about opening up though is making information available to everybody, always a good thing in my opinion.

I think keeping it private could only benefit the forum & its members. I believe this is the reason we have such an amazing forum & it also encourages people to contribute & get involved in the community. :victorious:

Totally agree!!

Opening up will bring in some rabble but provided its kept an eye on then I don't think its an issue.

May not be an issue for us as we as the members do not deal with the "rabble" but think about the Admin/Mods that do deal with it, must be a real PIA.

I really do not want this forum to become as dodgy as some of the other forums as we have all seen in the past. Some even went as far as using someone else's login details to get up to mischief, imagine what may happen if it went public? Remember "Prevention is better then cure".

+1000, and definitely PRIVATE. 3 distinctive reasons are ... 1. Buying/Selling, 2. Tone & Attitude within the SKF community/forum, and 3. Sharing of pics, info, personal info ....

Buying & Selling - A closed forum restricts FIFO ONLY sellers. The risk and threat associated with BAD experiences, especially for a new hobbyist is potentially damaging, personally & to the hobby. There's also a degree of security/comfort with SKF on buying/selling ATM, PLUS the applied C.O.C. (Code of Conduct). As

Tone & Attitude - As a closed forum, with it's initial restrictions etc, we tend to know who each one of us are, and/or are associated with, which provides some level of comfort. Most new members have been recommended to SKF by others...and although the growth potential of the forum is restricted, quality is always a winner over quantity.

Sharing of Pics/Info - Many personal information is shared on this forum, and I don't thing it would be at that level of trust if it was an open forum. Imagine opening Wayne's SKF BBQ invite to the WORLD, LOL....

I appreciate the need to expand the forum, and secure it financially etc.... perhaps if these cost were shared to us, or a select few, we could as a group take some of the pressure/responsibility ?.......just a suggestion.

I'm okay with whichever way it goes. The one big advantage I can see with opening it up to public is more exposure but also those who aren't sure about signing up or what they're getting will have a better feel for what the forum provides. I have been asked on more than one occasion why should I pay $12.50' date=' what makes it worth spending my money?

In saying that $12.50 is nothing in the overall scheme of things but I've also had others imply that because its private there is obviously a lot of dodgy dealings going on, that one really annoys me. Dean and several others have tried to stay on top of this and keep the place honest and above board. Opening up will bring in some rabble but provided its kept an eye on then I don't think its an issue.

One key thing about opening up though is making information available to everybody, always a good thing in my opinion.[/quote']

There is plenty of information on the web for the rabble as you call them, your words, not mine. Also plenty of other shrimp forums.

There are a heap of our members on the forum we do not mention as well.

i understood this forum was too keep Big Brother out. If Big Brother is allowed to come in, I will not be posting anymore!

I did not join this forum just to sell shrimp but I am aware others may have?

Access to the bigger market place can be had on those other forums without corrupting this one as far as I am concerned.

I may regret it but I have had my say, thank you.

I may regret it but I have had my say' date=' thank you.[/quote']

Cant see why you would regret it! It is the way lots of people feel ..... like me .....

As a few others have mentioned I can see both sides of the coin with regards to opening up this forum or keeping it private. As a mod on an international forum I am weary of opening up this forum to everyone. Simply because on the other forum that I frequent and mod on there has been in the past many issues that come about from personality clashes and misunderstandings due to peoples varying degree of understanding of the English language. Also because we mods ( on the other forum) have a locked section that only we can access and comment in, we have had members assume that there was secret squirrel business happening behind their backs. In some cases they are right but in most cases we are simply discussing the best way of dealing with a problem, but the stigma of "why cant we see" still remains with some members. That is why I would avoid opening up the main section but still excluding non-payed up members from other sections. I know we don't have the classifieds and auctions open to non-payed members but I see that as a safe guard against any shonky dealers that can ruin a great forum. The other problem I see of making this forum readily available world wide, may come down to more of a personal sore point. On the international forum there is always people looking for ways of exterminating pest snail biologically. And from all the English and American members the standard reply is "get some assassin snails". I groan every time I see that simply statement because if the member needing the help is not in those countries then assassin snails may not be available to them and yet again I need to explain ( for the Aussie members) that assassin snails are not in Australia and are not allowed in etc. So my vote is keep this private and keep it local.

Dean keep it the way it is.After being a member of another forum for 6-7 years and a mod for 2 of those this forum you have here is one of the best I have used.Being of a some what recluse I find this community very easy to become involved with.Would hate to see it become like some of the others out there.

the forum is grate how it is everyone here in the forum is awesome and very very friendly if you want more people to come in to the forum just get a sticker like i did :D

NICE AND BIGGGGGGG :D

opening the forum will get you lots of people problems and a lot of work.

NO for my opinion forum works grate how it is at the moment and seriously 12.50 is nothing.

i would no like this forum to become like other forums and no one will even talk to you so yeah thats my opinion

If it ain't broke don't mess with it.

Perfect the way it is and as said before $12.50 is SFA, if someone does not want to pay it we don't want them.

Bob