lighting suggestions

Brado

hey guys i'll be setting up (another) 3ft shrimp tank filled with cbs and moss, i dont plan on putting any plants in there,

led or t5ho? what do you guys think?

if led, what should i look for?

thanks Brad

I like the LED floodlights from eBay, the 10 watt ones Would be fine for moss if you have a few, they're around $17 each.

Hey guys can you link one .... Sorry just not sure about what is what with lights!

That's always a good idea :p I have my brother add leads so I forget that other people need them.

I did Mine myself. I guess never trust a teen with power...

A zap to the fingers , House safety breaker down and 3 20w floodlights wired :o

lighting is a very important factor in shrimp keeping / color.

for best color pigment in your shrimp the light spectrum should be in the 10,000K range.

this is recommended by most serious breeders around the world.

Didn't know that Dean! Learn something new everyday, do shrimp produce better colour under these lights though or do they show better under them?

OK I know nothing about growing plants of light in general .....

Does this mean if I got 2 of the above mentioned LED spot lights at about 6000K each that I have 12000K or is it more complex than that?

Sorry for jumping your thread Brado!

i will try to find the paper i read about this and post it for all to read.

my understanding of it was that

the light in the 10,000K range stimulated stronger color pigment response in the shrimp which in turn

gets past on to each generation after. but also important thing to remember is that shrimp will loose color or gain color

depending how happy they are in the water parameters of there tank.

for example i have a cull tank that i place all my low grade shrimp into and some of them i find end up not being culls

simply because they like the parameters in the cull tank more than the breeding tanks.

the lighting is only 1 small contributing factor to take into consideration with shrimp.

You would still have 6000K, it's the colour that the bulbs emit, so in a simplified way it's like mixing paint, if you mix red and red you will still have red.

i am no expert either when it comes to lights but 2 x 6000k lights still = 6000k light spectrum.

OK I know nothing about growing plants of light in general .....Does this mean if I got 2 of the above mentioned LED spot lights at about 6000K each that I have 12000K or is it more complex than that?Sorry for jumping your thread Brado!

thanks for the help guys, does lumens come into play at all?? or just temp range?

Those lights are Dim. No good IMO for viewing or plants.

Thanks. I'm crap at DIY, so are there any nano lights with 10000K in the market?

For what sized tank? You could get the 12000k 10w floodlight and one 6500k floodlight to give you roughly 10000k?

Arent those led modules on the edge 10k?

For what sized tank? You could get the 12000k 10w floodlight and one 6500k floodlight to give you roughly 10000k?

Arent those led modules on the edge 10k?

Like this one? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10W-LED-Flood-light-Outdoor-Lamp-White-Warm-White-RGB-Blue-Red-Green-Cold-White-/370543365060?pt=UK_Garden_Lighting&var=&hash=item9503e62e08

I thought you had those led module things from aquathrive? Arent they enough?

Lighting the edge is really hard :(' date=' If you dismantle the entire top, you could fit a 2x8w T5HO with 10k bulbs ;)

[url']http://www.aquathrive.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=3

I do but not sure if they were adequate. Plus a need a new one for my housing tank in the garage. Some of my moss had melted due to lack of light as I was using a weak desk lamp.

Then the 10w floodlight you mentioned earlier is perfect. maybe a little bright but you can lift it up from the tank.