Sign in to follow this  
Squiggle

Why my BB's aren't blue?

Squiggle

Ok, so I want to find out why my BB have lost their blue. The system is about 700L & I add about a teaspoon of mineral powder every week or two to the sump & about the same of Epsom salts to the auto waterchange tank, the rest of my WP are below

PH - 5.7

GH - 4

KH - 0

Ca - 20ppm

TDS - 110

Nitrate - 0

Temp - 23

They are all breeding quite well & I have about 8 berried girls in the system at the moment & that's a combination of CRS, CBS, BB, mischlings. All the others are showing great colour just not the TB's :victorious:

2OFUS

My male bb lost his blue for awhile to mate

BUT I think it's a molting thing as my bb has coloured back up nicely he was dull for about 1month

Squiggle

Yeah I don't think it's that dude, been this way for more than six months, she does get a bit of colour when berried but just a very very pale blue between a flower head & Mosura pattern & the shrimplets have less :(

shrimpstan

Maybe u could have a slightly higher Gh and TDS? Have u tried raising these over time?

Squiggle

I noticed she has a bit of colour this morning but this may be cause she's berried again, I'll try & raise the levels a bit & see what happens, cheers :victorious:

BlueBolts

+1, if you're observing the Ca:Mg ratio, then I'd boost you GH to 5. My TDS sits at 170-210, and have observe good colouration. Adding mineral powder is also a great way to ensure your water column has all the elements it needs to show their best colour :-)

Squiggle

Thanks BB, I do add a tsp of mineral powder to the sump every week or two. I'll try to slowly raise the TDS about 10ppm a week or so & see what happens, in theory this should raise the GH as well. :encouragement:

CNgo2006

But where are the pics squiggs?

Squiggle

This is with colour & I'll try get some tonight without, basically she goes almost completely white & the shrimplets are the same. :encouragement:

I've even got my own moon shots, hahaha :smiley_simmons:

image_zpse0f60847.jpg

image_zps9ef43323.jpg

image_zps5dd94ef8.jpg

image_zpscfe127bb.jpg

BlueBolts

I've just been thinking about other possibilities/issues causing your BB to loose its colour/intensity... Do you feed them boiled kale etc...I.e. calcium rich food ? Have attached the link Jaye posted of them...

http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/4402-Calcium-rich-food-for-your-shrimp

Just did a 5 minutes research on boiling affects of calcium content in vegetables, and it appears the calcium, magnesium etc... content increases when boiled

Squiggle

Hmmmmm, I don't boil anything, I only use dried leaves. Might have to get some kale, boil it & see how that goes, thanks BB :victorious:

BlueBolts

That'll be awesome, you may have solve a great mystery, as there's been much discussion of calcium absorption via diet and/or via the water column. IMHO, both as important, especially in achieving the optimal shell colour/density etc.

Boiling a high-oxalate food like spinach/kale can often reduce its oxalate content, resulting on calcium nourishment/concentration.....

Good thread Squiggles. Kale is usually purchased in a bunch... I would float them in boiling water for 24 hours, and do this over 2-3 days, to ensure any insecticides on the leaves are flushed away....then on the 3rd day, boil them for 10-15 minutes. Any extra kale can be rolled into a ball, and frozen....and on the next male feeding schedule, they can just be dropped into the tank frozen, and the shrimps will consume it as quickly. Ditto with any other leafy vegetable, like spinach etc...

Squiggle

Sweet BB, thanks for all the help & support. As Dr Karl always says "it's not the answer that gets the Nobel prize, it's the question!" :victorious:

shrimpstan

Hey BB and squiggs.. when u guys mention adding mineral powder is that the benibachi mironection powder stuff or the salty shrimp? And is that on top of the re mineralising water at WC time?

CNgo2006

The micronecton powder is the mineral powder from benibachi and from my tests it does raise the TDS

shrimpstan

yeah i just checked the link (thanks squigg) and it looks exactly the same as the one i have and its called mironection powder on my pack.. and i agree with Chi.. it does seem to raise TDS a bit.. although not as much as Chi's experience :p

has anyone else used this product without rise of TDS?

so is this powder used to enhance calcium levels?

Squiggle

Fair enough, It is not labeled as micronection on Deans site & I have never bothered reading the label. Also, I have never experienced a rise in TDS when I have added it to any of my shrimp tanks & I was testing morning & night for a while, I was experimenting with Montmorillonite & Bentonite clay's that I have access to & Benibachi mineral powder has a form of these clays in it. I believe the calcium bentonite & calcium montmorillonite is the preferred version & I'm still on the search for a good supply. :victorious:

BlueBolts

I use the benibachi mineral powder, and it doesn't raise TDS by much.... using the white spoon supplied (i.e. 2-3 pinches of powder) in 200mls, it ONLY raises TDS to 10ppm (from 0)....so over a volume of 40-60 litres, its equates to a negligible amount. Not sure about other mineral powders though ...

I use CaS04 to boost my calcium levels...

shrimpstan

yep... just tested 1 spoon (little white one supplied) to 3L of re-mineralised RO and did not notice any rise in TDS.

thats a really good idea squiggle! :encouragement:

any results u noticed that u care to share?

Squiggle

Still on the early stages of experimentation, nothing of any significance to report, but if all goes well I will have a regular supply of excellent quality calcium montmorillonite & calcium bentonite similar to the quality of Shirakura clay rocks, exciting stuff. :victorious:

shrimpstan

sounds great, count me in :) hope it all goes well!

Squiggle

All good, I just need to find someone who can run the samples through a spectrum analyzer, torface was going to do it for me but........well, everyone knows what happened there. :dejection:

CNgo2006
yep... just tested 1 spoon (little white one supplied) to 3L of re-mineralised RO and did not notice any rise in TDS.

Stir it around and test gain in few hrs...

BlueBolts

Woke up this morning, and noticed in my "Mongrel/Cull Tank", this spectacular BB in her full vibrance.......she was condemned to this tank 3-4 weeks ago, as she had mediocre head colour, and only a bluish tinge body..... BUT look at her 2day !

null_zps53397228.jpg

How's your BB colouring up Squiggle ? Any improvement ?