my Blue boy

ineke

• HOF Member

This is the start of my Blue shrimp. They come from Dean's Chocolate with blue and black genes. I have quite a few babies as dark as this baby and a female that is a real blue/black depending on the light. I have done my first pick of the crop but there were so many blue babies I will have to do a cull when I can sex them. While I type I'm watching Mum hatching babies and already I can see Blue babies even as hatchlings. GONNA NEED MORE TANKS:dejection:

2013-09-14124652_zpsc1656919.jpg

Edited by fishmosy

Very nice, well spotted.....so lets feed the addiction, and discuss what size tank you're gonna get... You do know that eventually you'll be considering a rack right.... Lol, the seed has been planted.

Congrats! How exciting!!

So one tank for each generation of dark blue babies, one for light blue babies and one for other.

At least three generations.........Rack it up!!!!

Hope you are Happy Dancing Ineke!!

• HOF Member

I am dancing but have to give most of the praise to Dean they are after all his stock. The babies are my F2 generation and I will pick out some nice ones to breed back to Dad. The female that was his Mum is the one hatching shrimplets right now and I'm pretty sure he is the father although I did put another really Blue male into the Crystal tank and he is not so blue in the really low PH.5.7 . Anyway I'm very happy with the results so far.

The rack is a couple of steps closer:D

Awesome stuff Ineke, that's an amazing start to your blue program! So when is A.L. going to start building your shrimp shelf? :victorious:

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggle i am very happy with the progress already. sort of makes up for the Crystals .We are not far away from doing it but unfortunately we are having to restump part of the house because the dwarf walls are failing. Once that is done he can move into my new shrimp room:D

• HOF Member

Thanks Wraithie I am really pleased and the new babies are looking to be darker than him.:encouragement:

shotgun some culls :encouragement: haha :)

they look awesome. they look nice when they are a darker blue

• HOF Member

Yes BB has some beautiful Blues if I can get mine near to that I would be very pleased. They make my Blue Velvets look anaemic. This is just the start, now I have to get them breeding true without chocolate or black coming through. Long way to go.

• HOF Member

Thanks Shrimpstan it is certainly a huge learning curve going from keeping shrimp to selective breeding. looking forward to seeing how I go but I am very lucky to have excellent stock to start with most of the hard work was done by Dean now I just have to pick out the strong colours and breed them together.Sounds easy hey -yeah right! when you look at how long BB and HeavyD ( and others too) have worked on getting their shrimp colours good and breeding true you can see how much dedication you need. :D