cherry shrimp egg help

Q_man-97

please help i just noticed then that 1 of my cherry shrimps has eggs and i dont no what to do and it looks like they are fooling off of her so is that normal or is something wrong please help me

• HOF Member

How long has she been berried? Can you see her losing the eggs? Sometimes you will see them moving the or fanning the eggs with their legs under their belly

How long has she been berried? Can you see her losing the eggs? Sometimes you will see them moving the or fanning the eggs with their legs under their belly

what do you mean by berried im a complete noob at this -_- and im not sure i will put a pic up so you can c cos i have clue what you are talking about sorry :(

• HOF Member

Sorry berried means a female with eggs- they look like little berries she is carrying under her tail. They use their back legs to clasp the eggs underneath them. Sometime you can see the female fanning or moving the eggs and it may look like she is dropping them. Also if she has only just got the eggs she can look very full with little eggs hanging low to the ground. Once she has had them for a few days she seems to be able to hold them tighter to her body. On average they carry their eggs for 28 days sometimes a bit less depending on the temperature of your tank. There is nothing you can do for here other than keep the water parameters good she will either hold them or not . When the eggs are ready to hatch she flicks them away from her and you then have a perfect miniature version of the parents.

Berried just means holding eggs' date=' cause it looks like she has a bunch of berries under her. :victorious:[/quote']

okay then and i dont no i had only just noticed then but i got them about 6 days ago and none of them had any signs of eggs but some did have big bright yellow saddles douse that have anything to do with what you mean :)

Sorry berried means a female with eggs- they look like little berries she is carrying under her tail. They use their back legs to clasp the eggs underneath them. Sometime you can see the female fanning or moving the eggs and it may look like she is dropping them. Also if she has only just got the eggs she can look very full with little eggs hanging low to the ground. Once she has had them for a few days she seems to be able to hold them tighter to her body. On average they carry their eggs for 28 days sometimes a bit less depending on the temperature of your tank. There is nothing you can do for here other than keep the water parameters good she will either hold them or not . When the eggs are ready to hatch she flicks them away from her and you then have a perfect miniature version of the parents.

okay thank you so much that makes so much more sense to me and you do not need to be sorry it is not your fault im a noob lol im just glad that you helped me and i will be sure to let you no how she goes with them since this is a first time for me :)

2013-07-31144332_zps608ac373.jpg

berried Rili see the eggs this is normal

no none of them have had these until today

• HOF Member
okay thank you so much that makes so much more sense to me and you do not need to be sorry it is not your fault im a noob lol im just glad that you helped me and i will be sure to let you no how she goes with them since this is a first time for me :)

No sometimes we forget to explain and we abbreviate everything forgetting there are beginners on here. It's not that long ago that I was a complete noob too! Never be afraid to ask for a simple fully explained answer:encouragement:

• HOF Member
no none of them have had these until today

Then they mated last night and must be happy with the conditions , congratulations and good luck. Don't be afraid to ask more questions no question is a silly question.

Saddles are where they hold the eggs until they are fertilised usually just after they moult

okay well some have only just moulted

No sometimes we forget to explain and we abbreviate everything forgetting there are beginners on here. It's not that long ago that I was a complete noob too! Never be afraid to ask for a simple fully explained answer:encouragement:

haha yeah i have noticed that a far bit lol and i dont really wont to ask what it means cos it makes me feel even more of a noob lol

• HOF Member

Please don't worry about feeling like a noob we were all there not long ago. Sometimes having new people ask questions helps us with discussions and keeping people interested. I used to ask soooo many questions- still do- but it's the only way to learn and there are most likely other people to scared to ask as well so asking a question helps everyone

Then they mated last night and must be happy with the conditions ' date=' congratulations and good luck. Don't be afraid to ask more questions no question is a silly question.[/quote']

okay i will be sure to ask lots of question and let you all know how it goes :) and thanks again

Awesome stuff dude' date=' congratulations! It just the start of you shrimp breeding addiction, lol :victorious:[/quote']

haha thanks man and i will try and post pics when they are born :)

Please don't worry about feeling like a noob we were all there not long ago. Sometimes having new people ask questions helps us with discussions and keeping people interested. I used to ask soooo many questions- still do- but it's the only way to learn and there are most likely other people to scared to ask as well so asking a question helps everyone

okay well im going to ask lots of question from now on :) so thank you for helping me so much i hope you will be able to help me in the future :)

Sweet dude' date=' can't wait! Love pics of shrimplets. :victorious:[/quote']

and sorry but they might be a bit blurry but i will try my best

Hey mate, no one on here is vindictive or mean in their answers, there is some good natured ribbing of the long term members but that's it.

bluebolts recently posted a very interesting article on shrimp moulting. It explained that saddled females are only able to be fertilised for a couple of days after a moult (very interesting to learn).

So it basically puts the breeding process at:

saddled -> moult -> fertilisation(within 3days) -> eggs(berried) -> 4 weeks later you have the most amazing miniature versions of shrimp that you will initially think are just spots on plants :)

Hey mate' date=' no one on here is vindictive or mean in their answers, there is some good natured ribbing of the long term members but that's it.

bluebolts recently posted a very interesting article on shrimp moulting. It explained that saddled females are only able to be fertilised for a couple of days after a moult (very interesting to learn).

So it basically puts the breeding process at:

saddled -> moult -> fertilisation(within 3days) -> eggs(berried) -> 4 weeks later you have the most amazing miniature versions of shrimp that you will initially think are just spots on plants :)[/quote']

okay then well i will keep a eye on them and see what happening and if thay are that small i dont think i will be able to post a pic when they are born lol

Yeah mate, welcome to the forum. You are very lucky to be able to ask questions on here, everyone is helpful. I had to learn the hard way and are still learning from some of the more modern breeders.