dividing anubius

ineke

Lol, I thought you would come back with a *****!!!!!!

In that case do lots of cuts on the stem too, I have one that is tall and straggly in my new redone tank and now would be the time to take it out if I'm gunna?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ineke

• ninja

• KillieOrCory

• 2OFUS

You live in SA' date=' why not get some Woomera Rock, I love the look of that, wish I could get some.

Hubby is going to Port Lincon for the fishing industry awards finals, but I guess there's there's no lfs's there???[/quote']

There are actually 2 LFS in Port Lincoln :)

Went in to the one in town when I was home last and they have a pretty decent range of everything (mostly just the usual wholesaler fish though)

PS. Should see if your hubby can check out Ron's tank when he is there. It is insane to see in the flesh, mostly locally caught big fish.

• HOF Member
Lol' date=' I thought you would come back with a *****!!!!!!

nah I wouldn't say that to you- might think it but not say it

In that case do lots of cuts on the stem too, I have one that is tall and straggly in my new redone tank and now would be the time to take it out if I'm gunna?[/quote']

ok will give the big one a few stem cuts and hope for the best.

• HOF Member

Thanks Jonx that makes me feel much better, they may be culls but they are still my babies:D

• HOF Member

I cut down one of the Anubias and got two new plants. Also made a few cuts in the rhizome ( for Ninja) . Left them in water for a while then left them out of water for a while before tying them to some rocks. Have now put them back in my Blue Velvet tank. Hope you are all right because its not my cull tank, its got about 20 nice Blue Velvet juvies in it. So will let you know tomorrow if they are OK:)

• HOF Member
2013-09-14145648_zps031657e8.jpgThey are still swimming happily so looks like it will be ok:encouragement:these are the two new plants

• HOF Member

Ahhhhh that may be a problem although I didn't notice any sap at all but a bit risky. If you want me to I can catch a few culls and cut another plant in their water without taking it out. I have a few I'm willing to sacrifice?

Don't stress to much ineke, the toxin from Anubias and crypts after cutting is only a very small amount. Very small amount :)

• HOF Member

Oh I'm fine Andrew it is Ninja that is worried my shrimp would be showing signs of toxicity by now and if I had any doubts I would not have put the plants into my Blue Velvet grow out tank:encouragement:

Would you please, I know I'm asking a lot of you but I need to decide wether to remove now or not. They will be expensive shrimp going in there?

• HOF Member

No problems I will setup a little tank tomorrow morning and leave the cuttings and donor plant in with them without filtration and see how they go:D my shrimp room is all shut down for the night now but I will do it.

• HOF Member

Shrimp still alive in first tank. Have put 6 culls into a couple of litres of water, cut the Anubias in 3 and scored the rhizome several times while in the water. Going out for a few hours and will post the results later today.

• HOF Member

Home again and all shrimp fine. Will leave them in the test tank overnight and if they are still alive I would say it is safe:)

• HOF Member

Ninja you will be pleased to know all 6 shrimp survived in a foam box 3 cut pieces of Anubias , no heating no filtration so my guess is the plant is safe.

Hi Ineke,

Thank you for doing this. I've always had my suspicions on the accuracy of the claim that damaged anubias releasing toxins that can kill shrimp. I've imagined it had started with a couple of real events where someone cut the rhizome of an anubias and shortly after the shrimp started dying.

Working in science, you learn to ask questions, seek answers to ultimately better understand the question.

I always wondered when it is said "if you cut or damage anubias it will release a toxin that can negatively effect livestock":

*was the anubias grown emersed or submersed? - the rhizome can have different physiological characteristics like thicker/thinner outer cell layer which might have slightly different composition.

*the water parameters - might effect the toxins (if there is any) viability negatively or positively.

*when the reported incidents happen - were people 100% sure everything else was OK, like no aerosols used, no hand cream, their kid didn't drop a copper penny into the water etc etc.

I've always chopped up my anubias in water myself and not noticed anything with my fish or Neocaridina shrimp.

Though, as the shrimp we keep are valuable; not from monetary point of view but mainly due to selective breeding it might take years to get to the same position again, I am happy to be cautious. If in doubt, don't.