Collecting rain water ????

blackcat

I have used diverter valves before as well as Buckets left out.

BUT hold off until it has rained for a while to clear the air or gutters if you are collecting from a roof.

I never use to worry about it until recently, I moved a Down pipe ready to build a cover and forgot to divert the water, I live near a Sugar Mill I don't know if that was why but I killed close to 1000 Cherry shrimp, Pipe fish and some touchy Snails with the water that flowed in????

Bob

Let it run for a while and its AOK, BUT it depends on who is getting the rainwater and how cold it is, as a spawning trigger for some species its the best, even in some cases a 10+ drop in temp is AOK.

Try it first until you know what you are doing, it is also good for dropping the hardness in time with the drop in temp as a spawning trigger.

There is so many variables, so what are you wanting to do??? you are in Melbourne? if so you should have soft water there??

Don't panic too much, my killer was a more than 100% flow through with no flush of the roof first, it caught me out because I was at work (sorry for using the 4 letter word that starts with W).

Bob