New shrimp TDS 550

ineke

• HOF Member

I couldn't resist buying some young CBS at a local fish shop there were only 7 and only $5 each so took a chance. When I got home I checked the water they were in and the TDS was 550 . I am going to put them in my Crystal tank to try and get something happening with breeding them. I haven't done any other water tests but take it they are just in fish water. I am going to slowly drip them for a couple of hours , give them a rest to acclimatise to that then drip again for a few hours with rests in between until the TDS has equalised. Any other suggestions as they will probably drop in ph as well. I am dripping very slowly maybe 1 drip per second . I did think maybe to put them in a cherry tank but they would still need to have another change of water later to get to crystal WP's so think the one change will be better for them?

• HOF Member

yes we were out for a drive to Eudunda so came home via Main Nth Rd. Got the last ones but didn't realise how different the water parameters were until i got home. Thats a huge drop for them to get used to Ro water and lower TDS, PH etc but they look OK at the moment have given them a rest and recommenced dripping now for a few more hours. Did yours do OK?

• HOF Member
Huh??????

Pheonix is the fish shop KFenk told me about over facebook. Dropped in to see what they had and ofcourse had to have them!!!! The water they were in has a TDS of 550

Hi I've never heard of this place where is it and What is it called ? Might have to go and have a look !!! Lol

about time we have a decent shrimp shop, I had a look at the one advertised on gumtree ( shrimp creations ) they guarantee 100% no snails with there plants yeah wasn't impressed they had heaps in there 1 tank not worth the drive to port Adelaide to look.

• HOF Member

It's 34 main north road Smithfield I bought the last ones. The owner said that the person he buys his shrimp from recently moved his tanks and killed half of his shrimp so there won't be anymore for a few weeks. He also has glass shrimp there for $3. Only a small setup and the shrimp are kept in tanks with normal sand and probably just normal water as the TDS was way too high but he says they have bred in there for him .

Ok cool thanks might drop in when down that way. Have you had a look at elite fish in mount barker , not to bad just starting to stock some shrimp have cherrys ( $1) usually have crs and CBS ($7 last I looked) and also blue cherrys ( blue velvets I think ) they also make tanks cheap as they made my 6fter painted back (6ftx20") $350 not to bad I thought.

• HOF Member

I haven't been there but have looked at their website. Didn't know they had Crystals. Don't often go up that way as hubby doesn't like driving any where south of Gepps Cross. Will have to twist his arm and go have a look.

Worth a look doesn't always have but not bad I think he's getting the blues from Michael and the crystal from Holden hill I think. Fella advertises on gumtree with the crystals.the shrimp are in there own tank with fluval substrate but on tap water so tds would be high but not at 550 more 425 as that's my tap water tds and as I live in mount barker his would be the same.

• HOF Member

I think that would be Alan Speck at Holden Hill he has Crystals and Cherries- I know he has yellows, used to have reds but I think he sold them off. Alan doesn't have any available at the moment but when he does his crystals have just gone up to $8 A-S grade. Seems quite a nice guy he breeds Cichlids as well.

• HOF Member

Well they are OK but when I went there he had his Reds and Blacks in together , when I questioned him about it he said they didn't interbreed so I quickly told him they did. pointed out some muddy ones and told him they were probably the crosses. Haven't been there for probably 6 months now so don't know if he listened and changed them or not. If you just want numbers then they were reasonable shrimp but if you want to breed to sell you will need to check whether he still has them in the same tank. He was a member here for a short time so would have seen that they do interbreed because they are the same shrimp just different colours.

I bought 5 CBS from Alan about three or four weeks ago. Top bloke. Looks like I got mine just before the price rise- $5 bucks each! He must have taken your advice Ineke as he had 3 shrimp tanks, CBS in one, CRS in another and juvies in the last. Also had some cherries, yellows and rilli's I think. He had Fluval shrimp stratum in the tanks so pH was about 6.8, temp was about 25 TDS was around 400, from memory. But those parameters were working for him as they were breeding well and the grades improving. I'm very happy with my first crystals and would definitely buy from him. He also has heaps of cichlids and frogs too!!!!!

• HOF Member

Thanks for that , he is a very nice guy and I'm really pleased he listened as the shrimp he had were nice quality but the juvies were showing their crossing I believe at that time. I spoke with him this week about getting some CBS and he had just sold out but would have more ready in a few weeks. I am not worried about quality at the moment I just want to get mine breeding so will be looking for culls to add to my little colony to try an induce some breeding:encouragement:

I know a lot of people here use r/o water but I was wondering about rain water. I'v never checked my tds and I must admit I'm a bit scared to now lol. I'v got plenty of rainwater to use if that's good enough

Rainwater should have a low TDS so as long as you check it & add minerals to bring it up to the correct level, it should be good enough for shrimp. :encouragement:

I use rainwater. It usually has a TDS of 10 to 20 and use salty shrimp to bring it up. My shrimp seem quite happy with that! And as a bonus the ph is usually mid to high 6 so ya soil doesn't have to do so much buffering