Flea Bombing the house with shrimp- what do I do?

JonX

Hi guys

I have a cat, who when I first got her was flea ridden. I thought I got rid of the fleas, but now she is scratching herself like a mad man.

The couch has fleas on it to. She sleeps with us so I probably am flea infested aswell.

The mrs isn't too happy she wants to flea bomb the house, but I said we can't it will kill my shrimp. The tanks are in the lounge.

I was wondering if I could bomb the bedrooms and bathroom and then seal the door with loads of sticky tape...

Is there another way to get rid of the fleas without a bomb that has potential to nuke the shrimp aswell?

I will gladwrap the hell of my tanks while treating for fleas, but I don't know if thats going to be work.

Any help or advice or anyone who has experienced this, please speak up.

thanks. =)

If you have an air pump' date=' don't forget to turn that off too.[/quote']

Good thinking .... Never would have thought of that :encouragement:

Ozzie had a similar problem a while back & he came through it ok' date=' check out his thread for some ideas on how to protect your shrimp. :encouragement:

[url']http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/3115-Possible-Shrimp-Nuking?highlight=flea+bomb

Far out i just read through the link to ozzys debarkle and let me tell ya i was on the edge of my wheelchair just reading it hoping all was gonna work out for him LOL

Every challenge is an opportunity. How about making some cash from your current challenge? I am thinking Flea Circus! :smiley_simmons:

Good luck!

Far out i just read through the link to ozzys debarkle and let me tell ya i was on the edge of my wheelchair just reading it hoping all was gonna work out for him LOL

Yeah we were the same when it happened but it was way more drawn out when it happened, real nail biting stuff. :cower:

Hahaha, nice one Serkan, when life gives you lemons huh! :victorious:

If you have an air pump' date=' don't forget to turn that off too.[/quote']

Mum nuked the tank with an air freshener plugged next to the pump once.

• HOF Member

Now I wouldn't have thought about that. I have a little reed infuser next to one of my tanks better go move it although its been there for a few months can't take any chances:encouragement:

Good thinking .... Never would have thought of that :encouragement:

yeah, call it ... Experience.

Not with a Flea bomb, but Fly Spray.

I've bombed a couple of times,

1st time glad wrapped the tanks, bombed, came home opened the house for a couple hours before taking the glad wrap off. Success! Until a few hours after that a cockroach trying to clean itself off jumped in the tank trying to clean the poison off. Multiple water changes, air stone etc. lost a third of my stock.

Second time wrapped the tanks again same method. Shrimp were fine. Hours later shrimp were still fine. Next morning Massive losses I had 15 shrimp left out of 120!

devastated to say the least.

As a result I felt the sub might be contaminated etc so I pulled the tank down. Sad face

I've bombed a couple of times' date='

1st time glad wrapped the tanks, bombed, came home opened the house for a couple hours before taking the glad wrap off. Success! Until a few hours after that a cockroach trying to clean itself off jumped in the tank trying to clean the poison off. Multiple water changes, air stone etc. lost a third of my stock.

Second time wrapped the tanks again same method. Shrimp were fine. Hours later shrimp were still fine. Next morning Massive losses I had 15 shrimp left out of 120!

devastated to say the least.

As a result I felt the sub might be contaminated etc so I pulled the tank down. Sad face[/quote']

Dude, that sux!! Sorry to hear

Okay, I glad wrapped and put drop sheets over the tank.

Bomb went off yesterday. Lunch time today I found

1 berried king kong dead,

a couple of mishlings

cherry shrimp and a golden algae eater.

Oh well- it had to be done. Least I didn't get total wipe out.

My oebt are still alive and the female released her eggs so hopefully baby tigers will be seen shortly.

hopefully the fleas wont come back.

• HOF Member

Sorry for your losses Jonx but could have been worse. Make sure you treat your cat for fleas with spot on type product and then you need to worm it. Fleas carry worm eggs and when your cat bites at the fleas they swallow them and can get infested with worms as well.

Sorry about the losses bro! have you chucked in a bag of carbon or something similar to remove toxins? I remember when I had the toxic fumes case it went on for a few days where I found shrimp dead as they have already been weakened....and did you save the eggs from the KK?

• 1 month later...

Wow this was a horrific read ... luckily I use advantage on our pets as I never ever want that kind of a problem :-( sorr y for your losses

Saying that, make sure they cant go for a swim in your tanks as per the story from one of our new members :/