Funny thing just happened

Squiggle

I was just cleaning out one of the two canisters I have on my 2x1.5x1.5 Cichlid tank, which I do very rarely as I'm running two Eheim's & when I pulled the bottom basket out there was a 3inch electric yellow in there just cruzing around, only way I can think he got in there was he was sucked up when he was a little fry & grew in the filter, tough little bugger! :victorious:

• HOF Member

Aren't they amazing? I took a young shrimp out of my canister the other day it had been missing shortly after hatching and had a distinctive pattern so I knew it was that shrimp. It was right in the bottom by the water intake sitting in 8 weeks of detritus from a new tank. I know it is a lot smaller than your fish but they must put up with the most horrid conditions and yet she seems very robust and healthy with a nice thick shell.

Give that fish extra care, he/she deserves a better life after what it has been through. The fish attitude is " never say die"

Totally agree dude, he's been chucked in with general population which has got to be loads better than the first half of his life, lol :encouragement:

They are amazing Jay, when we use to clean out the filters at the wholesaler I worked for, there use to be whole ecosystems in there and the stuff living in there had to travel about 50+mts in pipework and down two stories. Even found a half grown Pleco and a breeding group of Bristle nose in on filter. The filters were in 500lt tanks that had about 200lts of water in them, still don't know how they got through the media and stuff?? no fry all salable fish

Bob

Wow Bob, that's some crazy sh!t. This is one of the things that will never cease to amaze me about aquatic stuff, they are so fragile but so tough! :encouragement:

Its all about how you keep them and for me water change, water change works, my shrimp and fish stock never get feed Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday because they are caught at 3am to go to a market then back to there tanks at home to be caught and transported again Sunday morning 3am, they can travel up to 2.5 hours in there buckets. I have very little trouble, so yes they can be tough and touchy as well.

OH I do up to 7 x 1/3 water changes a week, Shrimp included both stock and pets, that also includes Crystal types BUT I have really good tap water as does all of FNQ

Bob

PS if ever you get the chance to tag along to Bayfish DO IT, it will rattle the brain for you.

No water bill is OK, I will put down a boar as soon as I get done with all the fish rooms and stuff, but the ground water will be harder than the tap and with a low PH because of the CO2, so Crystals will still be on tap water.

When I am done (12 months) come for a visit and look around the area

Bob

Don't worry Bob it's definitely in the planning stages, I really want to get up there, plus I need my fix of Mareeba GoKart track, gotta be the best public Kart track in Aus! I'm up to the gold karts & doing 180kms down the front straight is hard to beat, hahaha :victorious: