how to reduce GH

anfz18

Hi all, I live in Adelaide where our water is really hard , i am currently keeping and breeding CBS ,

I have a GH of 8-10 straight out of the tap , I dont have a RO unit. so how is the best way to lower my GH ?

Thanks

There are water softening resins available like Macropore gold & other brands but you can also do it naturally with peat moss, IAL & driftwood, anything that gives off tannins will soften water. :victorious:

I would strongly advise against the use of water softening pillows to reduce GH. Most (if not all) simply replace calcium and magnesium ions with sodium ions. While this would cause testing to show lower GH you would actually be increasing TDS (total dissolved solids) which will prove even more detrimental to your aquarium inhabitants that require soft water.

2 issues here....

Even by adjusting your tanks GH via a secondary means (per squiggle's recommendation) is just a band aid solution, as you're going to continually have the same issue via your water source (tap water). If you're seriously considering CBS, I'd suggest purchasing a RO/Di unit (approx. $100 or less)... as this issues will continue to persist.

Using softening pillow/resin to reduce GH simply converts Ca & Mg to Sodium ions (?)..thus increasing TDS, which is another issue created. Fluctuations with PH will also occur, which is yet another issue. The cost of continually purchasing these products will quickly out weigh the cost of a RO/Di unit.

With the sensitivity of shrimps, my advise is to fix it at the source, to avoid any potential issues... :)

Thanks Squiggle , i was not aware of water softeners , i use IAL and Gold vine .

Cheers Bluebolts , I understand your point , where is the best place to purchase a RO unit ?

Thanks Again

Well put BB, definitely the best way to soften the water is to do it before you put it in the tank with a RO/DI unit. I did not know about the TDS of the pillows as I've never used the with shrimp, thanks for the info. :encouragement:

Best to visit their website, and email them, as it depends on the quality/TDS of your tap water, and also how many litres of RO water you plan to extract each week. I have a portable unit, similar to this......have attached the link so that you can contact them and to ask them for a suitable unit. Definitely worth getting a TDS/Ec Pen though...

http://PORTABLE REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FILTER KIT - FILTERS OUT FLUORIDE! (1-70)

If you can't afford a RO unit, peat works well to soften water.

Peat is like any of the expensive ion exchange resins, except the ion's that are exchanged are generally H+ ions in exchange for the Magnesium and Calcium Ions.

So it will increase the acidity of the water (lower pH) whilst at the same time softening your water and keeping the carbonate buffer.