Adults or juvies

ineke

• HOF Member

I'm running out of room and can't really run any more tanks so I'm going to have to put my Blues from Chocolates into my CRS tank. I know the lower ph will slow the breeding down but I can live with that what I want to know are which can withstand the change better- the breeding adults or the babies. I have a few promising looking youngsters and not quite sure whether to move them while still quite tiny or let them mature more and then put them in the lower ph. I didn't worry when it was the Red Cherries and swapped what I needed to as often as I needed to because they tolerated the change so well but not so sure about the Chocolates don't know if they are as hardy as the Reds. Any thoughts anyone?

That's exactly what I had to succumb to :-) The juvi's will acclimatise better, and more importantly get used to the WP etc...so with maturity, they'll be ready to breed on those WP. The brreding rate will slow right down though, but it really depends where the priority is.... If you wanted the best of both worlds, a PH of 6.5-6.8 would be ideal...my sunkist, OEBT, chic rills are breeding like crazy, BUT at PH 6.4'ish, I've noticed a sharp decline in productivity....

I just moved about twenty of various age & size, they all seen to be loving it, they're all cruzing around munching on everything, happy happy happy! :victorious:

• HOF Member

Thanks BB my tank sits at 6.1 at the moment as the soil is only about 6 months old. I might need to rethink and maybe put the Blue Velvets in there as I have more of them and they don't seem too fussy - I put a heap of culls into another very low ph 5.5 and they seem to be doing OK . I was going to put the Blue Velvets into the cube I have just set up but now thinking the Blues from the Chocolate may be better in there as they are more my focus. Think I need to start looking at getting some bigger tanks that I can divide and retire my small tanks. It doesn't get any easier does it, if only we could be content with just one type of shrimp

• HOF Member
I just moved about twenty of various age & size' date=' they all seen to be loving it, they're all cruzing around munching on everything, happy happy happy! :victorious:[/quote']

Did you change the ph by much though Squiggle. I move shrimp around as needed but haven't put any shrimp that I want to selectively breed into a much lower ph , that is more my dilemma all my cherry tanks are small around 30 litres so I really need to get my blues out to be able selectively breed both types but just don't have the room in my cherry tanks.

Yeah it was from above 7 to 5.6, went from a cherry specific tank to a tank in my rack, took a few hours but they seem to be doing very well, the next few months will be interesting, hopefully the breeding rate doesn't change too much. :victorious:

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggle I really want them in the Crystal tank as the lighting is good and I will be able to see them better. Guess I will catch out the bluest plus my best blue males and see what happens. I wanted the blue Velvets to stay in cherry parameters so this might work. My only other option is to give or sell my yellows and young red Rilis to free up another tank. Have to think about that for a little bit first- I would hate to think I give my yellows away and be confronted by pictures of my berried females in someone else's tank

• HOF Member

Well I caught out about 30 young blues from chocolate and have put them into my CRS tank so now have to wait and see how they colour up in this tank. Have left some in the Chocolate tank in case the others don't do too well in the different WP's. Hardly made a dent in the amount of babies in that tank though -these Chocolates are breeding machines.

Now just have to wait for the cube to cycle and then catch out my Blue Velvet babies and see how they go, they will be in the right WP's so should be fine. There appears to be a good number of them too. Probably making up for the fact that nothing else is breeding for me just rilis and chocolates:encouragement:

• HOF Member

Wow I caught another 20 Blues from Chocolates today so must have at least 50 now plus there are still some in the Chocolate Tank. Also have about 30 Blue Velvet juvies that have been put in to the cube now it has cycled. Have heaps more Rili babies in a grow out tank and they are colouring up nicely- they looked like they would all be culls but as they grow they are losing the red and have nice red heads and tails with clear blue bodies. Berried mamas every where in the Chocolate and Rili tanks we wont talk about the other shrimp I have they still don't want to breed. guess I should be happy to have so many of the others:)

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggle just wish I could get the crystals breeding. Even though I think I have both sexes it might be time to look for a few culls from somewhere to add to my few and see if maybe I'm wrong and only have one sex.

• HOF Member

Ninja I have seen a couple of saddles and last week the boys went crazy but unfortunately the female was attacked just after her moult . Also had a few older ones die in the last couple of months . I think I have another 2 that I'm pretty certain of and 3 that I can't make my mind up about. BB is helping me sort them out so if they are ever to breed they should over the next few weeks. If not i will buy some if any become available in a month or so. I may just be one of the few people who needs to concentrate on cherries because despite all the right care I am not having any luck even the mishlings have stopped breeding at the moment and I can only see 6 juvies of various ages. Time will tell and worst case scenario my 2 crystal and mishling tanks will end up grow out tanks for cherries:)