Neutralising Goldvine / Driftwood

BlueBolts

Is there a method to neutralise the PH buffering of new Goldvine / Driftwood ? Got a new piece of Goldvine, and it's dropped my PH from 7.5 to 6.4...... :-( Boil, Peroxide, Hydro (Bhahahahahahahaha).... I'm not good with patience !

• HOF Member

Are you sure it's the gold vine BB I put 2 new pieces in 2 different tanks and I was checking my WP's regularly and had no fluctuations at all.

• HOF Member

Mine were small but put into my nano cubes it was when I first got my tanks and I was testing the water every couple of days. I must have been lucky I did no pre treatment just weighed them down. I did get that white slime on them though.

Bicarbonate Soda or Calcium Carbonate (shellgrit, limestone, powdered, whatever) will work if it's already in the tank. Boiling, soaking with aeration and then placing in the tank with a bit of carbon will also work (carbon will not work by itself, it only prevents tannin staining).

You have white coat syndrome LOL the mad scientist.
I have a white coat, makes me feel trendy when i wear it :p

• HOF Member

Bahahaha I used to wear white nurses uniforms power went to my head hated it when they got phased out.

boil for 2-3 hours

change water

boil more

then rinse with tap water over night

most of it should be out

the more you do the more tannin will come out

Thanks all...just boiled for 45 min....got bored, tired so drowning in fresh water ATM. Will continually to WC, till water is clean :-)

Personally when having done this myself in the past I've just boiled the wood like hell and then let it sit. Wood will lower the Ph of your water, that is going to happen. The only one I found so far that didn't was iron bark but I wouldn't recommend that in tanks, its extremely dense and heavy but also I found plants/mosses don't take to is as its hard for them to get a grip

Bicarbonate Soda or Calcium Carbonate (shellgrit' date=' limestone, powdered, whatever) will work if it's already in the tank. Boiling, soaking with aeration and then placing in the tank with a bit of carbon will also work (carbon will not work by itself, it only prevents tannin staining).

I have a white coat, makes me feel trendy when i wear it :p[/quote']

Nerd! :)

Thanks all...just boiled for 45 min....got bored' date=' tired so drowning in fresh water ATM. Will continually to WC, till water is clean :-)[/quote']

Just put it in that little pond in the back for a few months, it will neutralise and be covered in yummy biofilm then.