water fleas/daphnia

ineke

• HOF Member

I recently purchased some hair grass and now have an invasion of I think daphnia in my little tank. Are the shrimp OK with them in the water or do I need to catch the shrimp out to get rid of the daphnia- maybe put some of my little fish in there to eat them. Never had them before but they are multiplying quickly -I would put the fish in but there are babies in that tank. Any ideas anyone????

• HOF Member

Thanks Bob I seem to get every kind of organism in my tanks:dejection: At least these are harmless too. :)

Daphnia are awesome, great source of food for your fish tank, they will go bananas for them. :encouragement:

Another idea, they are light sensitive, lights out in the room with a small light in one corner of the tank, this will attract them to the corner where you can syphon them out. It is a trick used with some fish fry to get them into concentrations of food. Concentrates the food and fry.

Or you could let them grow a bit so you can catch them, stocking net at very handy things

Bob

• HOF Member

Thanks Bob I will give that a try but I will let them grow a bit until they really annoy me then the fish will really enjoy them:encouragement:

If they really are daphnia then just leave them alone, I used to put them in my shrimp tanks. What I would be worried about is what else came with them?

Sorry Ineke but you need to treat and quarantine your new plants as well mate!

Could always use this stuff, hahaha! :smiley_simmons::stupid:

image.jpg

Disclaimer: This is a fake product, my friend designed this as a joke, Frontline plus for fish does not exist, lol :encouragement:

Could always use this stuff' date=' hahaha! :smiley_simmons::stupid:

image.jpg

Disclaimer: This is a fake product, my friend designed this as a joke, Frontline plus for fish does not exist, lol :encouragement:

Brilliant mate!!!

• HOF Member
If they really are daphnia then just leave them alone' date=' I used to put them in my shrimp tanks. What I would be worried about is what else came with them?

Sorry Ineke but you need to treat and quarantine your new plants as well mate![/quote']

Yes another lesson learnt- well I knew this but didn't do it.:(

I have kept and bred daphnia in a pond that I delibrately made green. I added glass shrimp and had no issues keeping them in the pond. As stated they are one of the best fry foods you can get. My glass shrimp bred and I also found that when the water had returned to normal clear water , I started to harvest the daphnia.