6 foot tank lighting

michael

Hi guys ive got a new rack in construction atm. It will house 2 x 6 foot x 45 x 45 tanks sumped. I want to choose lighting for them that is both great viewing and economical. Im not growing many plants in the tanks just mosses mostly. I also want to connect them to a main switch at the front of the rack. What would u recommend?

The Up Aqua Pro Z series that Dean has are Da Bomb! I put them above my tanks in my rack & they are stunning & very low cost to run. There is a before & after shot in my tank journal thread & my tank blog, the difference is spectacular! :victorious:

I would tend to agree with Squiggle the Up Aqua Pro Z series are fantastic lights and very economical to run. I have a 60mm one and it uses 17w witch is great for the amount of light it puts out. only problem with them is it up front cost... my 60cm one cost $120. Another option that works very well is LED flood lights (I got mine off ebay) around 4-5 20w led floodlights would work well for a 6 foot tank and only cost around $100 just make sure you get one around with a light colour around the 5000k-8000k mark.

i dont think the z series comes in 6ft so prob just get 2x 3fts.. so u'll need 4 x3fts.. they are a very good light i have about 7 of them :)

They are very bright I would go with 2x 90cm first and if its not as bright as you would like it to be you can always add another two ;)

I just found these what do u guys think do u think they will work i was thinking 5 of them for each 6foot tank one above every section.[ATTACH]4771[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4772[/ATTACH]

post-1567-139909853467_thumb.jpg

post-1567-139909853469_thumb.jpg

• HOF Member

Make sure they are bright enough Michael, we just bought a heap of them to replace all our down lights and even though they were equivalent power to our halogens the LED lights were no where near what we had. Ours only have 4 LEDS yours has 5 but just check what light Equivalent they are:D on the up side I now have a heap of LED lights to play with for my tanks

There are diffent wattage can get up to 54 watt ones. Anyone got any idea how strong wattage would need to be to light each section. Size 40x45 x 45 deep but really only 37cm as it will have 8cm of substrare.