green cherry program.

michael

Hi guys though id put a couple of pictures of one of my green cherries to see what everyone thinks. Ive been working on these for a while now I think the color is getting there. Any ideas to make it stronger. I put this guy in with some blue velvets and red cherry culls so u can get an idea of the color. post-12-139909863561_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909863564_thumb.jpg

post-1567-139909862635_thumb.jpg

post-1567-139909862639_thumb.jpg

Nice. Perhaps it depends on where they originated ... Yellow or Choc ?, and also if you have a pair of them ? If so, I'd X it with each other to see whether their colour will come through to their shrimplets ?

nice one mate, looks like its a green from the blues that come from red rilli? if so you will find as soon as you change its water parameters, its color will change also :(

sorry but i have had heaps of these and tried to do something with them but as soon as the WP change so do they.

Its the same as the greens from the yellows, they all change as soon as the WP change unfortunately

Ive got maybe 30 of them. Ive been breeding them together for a couple of generations with little colour change. They originated from a yellow cherry line. I want to try to make the colour deeper and more solid. At the same time id like to get this current colour to more of a neon green colour.

These came out of my yellow cherry tank about 12months ago. I dont think they have any blue cherry genes in them at least not since ive had them. Cant be sure of the origin of my yellows before I got them. What about tge greens from chocolates do they hold or change with the water parameters.

Looks cool, have you tried them in other people's tanks to see if they keep their color? (Greens seem to be notorious for changing)

Looks cool' date=' have you tried them in other people's tanks to see if they keep their color? (Greens seem to be notorious for changing)[/quote']

Not yet. Might have to make some arrangements for that. How long wiuld u give them to see if they changed colour

just put them in another tank with at least a full point different PH and you will see withing 3-4 days of there color change

There ph is currently 7 would u go to 8 or 6. Also should I try changing any of there other parameters.

Temp 24

Tds 180

Gh 6

Kh 1

They are all currently in a tank with ony greens. I put that one in one of my cull tanks to see how green it was. I should be able to just adjust the wp in my green tank without moving them

i would go lower (6) as cherry are quite happy in most higher ph and color doesnt change much.

if you put them from 7-6 then you will see the change in color.

One of the main reasons i breed all my cherry in 5.6-5.9PH is because you get a much better understanding of the true color

of them. example is i can put a blue velvet in PH 7-7.4 and it will look nice and blue but put it in sub 6ph and its almost clear, then if i take a shimp that is good strong blue from sub 6ph and put it in ph 7+ its super blue.

they breed much slower but quality control is so much easier :)

Thats interesting I knew that the colour was affected by the watrr condition I never realised how much. Maybe I should slowly drop all my cherry tank ph's back to atleast mid 6s and see if it helps. Im always looking for easier ways to cull to improve my shrimp. I usually free up tank when im ready to cull a colony then I choose the best few specimens to start the new colony and cull the rest. I find its easier to choose a few of your best than to catch all the lower quality

+1, All my cherries are @ PH5.8-6.5. I've deliberately got my blacks at 5.8, for exactly that reason.

At 5.8 do u find that u dont get as many females berried or any other differences witg breeding ie. Juvenile survival rate. Batch sizes excetra. Or is it pretty much the same just easier to pick the poor quality ones. Also if I was to try to lower the ph how much and fast can I do it. I was thinking maybe 0.5 over a week. Not in one go. Then have a new tank set up with benibachi substrate. Would 8cm thick in a 45 high be enough substrate to get me near high 5s or would I need more or fluvic grains

Sounds like a good plan, I don't think you'll need extra grains. I would remove all the shrimp into a bucket & do the change in one go, then re acclimatize the shrimp as if you were putting them in a new tank. This way they'll spend less time being stressed & end up being happier. :encouragement:

U dont think a full point swing will be to much in one day. Mind u I am going to lower the ph to 6 to see if they change colour anyways.

Not if you acclimatize the shrimp to the new water correctly & do it as slow as possible. :encouragement:

Not if you acclimatize the shrimp to the new water correctly & do it as slow as possible. :encouragement:

I generally use a breeding box with a small amount of tank water. Catch the shrimp and then hang it in the new tank. Turning the air on slow so it take an hour or so to fill the tank then give it another hour or so increase the air and water flow to make sure its all mixed well then transfer them into there new home

Yeah that should be cool, I would maybe take twice as long as normal cause it will be such a big swing. :encouragement:

I generally use a breeding box with a small amount of tank water. Catch the shrimp and then hang it in the new tank. Turning the air on slow so it take an hour or so to fill the tank then give it another hour or so increase the air and water flow to make sure its all mixed well then transfer them into there new home

thats exactly how i acclimate my new shrimp but with water from the bag in the breeder box obviously :)

One of my tank is 260mm (H), with 80mm of substrate....so water only at 180mm (19 lt). Gave me a PH of 5.0 (36 months ago), and now sitting at 5.8 ! :cheerful:

thats exactly how i acclimate my new shrimp but with water from the bag in the breeder box obviously :)

I do the same thing with new shrimp and have never lost one using this method. Must also aay I try no to net them if possible I remove the water return screen and let them follow the water . might take an hour or so but they usally escape into the tank on their own

i would go lower (6) as cherry are quite happy in most higher ph and color doesnt change much.

if you put them from 7-6 then you will see the change in color.

One of the main reasons i breed all my cherry in 5.6-5.9PH is because you get a much better understanding of the true color

of them. example is i can put a blue velvet in PH 7-7.4 and it will look nice and blue but put it in sub 6ph and its almost clear' date=' then if i take a shimp that is good strong blue from sub 6ph and put it in ph 7+ its super blue.

they breed much slower but quality control is so much easier :)[/quote']

Wow thanks as usual for the fantastic pearls of wisdom from the master ;) :thankful: