Hi I'm Daniel I'm from adelaide

Hughes78

I am currently setting up a six foot tank with four sections if any one has any helpful hints on filtration and substrate it would be muchly appreciated. I currently have cherry shrimp. Red rilli blue gene shrimp and ( as I recently found out ) low grade crs and CBS , any help would be very helpful. Cheers Daniel

• HOF Member

Hi Daniel welcome to SKF great to see another South Aussie on the forum. The forum will open up for you as you post so the more you post the more you see. We love pictures so please post some pictures of your shrimp and setup. Heaps to see and learn here, hope you enjoy our forum:encouragement:

Welcome to the forum, definitely the best place to be for shrimp help & info, ask as many questions as you want cause there's no such thing as a dumb question here. Hope you have as much fun here as we do. :victorious:

funny-cat-gifs-045-010_zpsbfcaaba9.gif

Hi ineke just a quick question what is the best substrate to use for shrimp for a constant ph of 6.5 ? If benibachi where do u buy in Adelaide ?

• HOF Member

Can't buy benibachi in Adelaide I tried the wholesalers and they suggested our forum host Dean from Boss Aquaria or the other forum sponsors sell it at a good price. Just look at the forum sponsor section at the top of the thread sections and go to one of them for prices and delivery costs.

• HOF Member

You can get fluval stratum in Adelaide it does buffer to 6.5 but don't think it lasts as long and I have been told it tends to turn to slush fairly quickly. Also when you first see the price of benibachi it seems more expensive but in fact the bags are bigger and it holds together very well. If you decide to go for higher quality shrimp it pays to get the good soil but you should also then think about RO water because Adelaide water is not great for shrimp. Ok for cherries they do well but not crystals and TB

G'day fellow South Aussie!! Good to see you've joined the best shrimp forum around, plenty of friendly and helpful characters on here. Have fun :D

G'day Daniel, welcome to our forum SKF ENJOY!

Yeah our water is crap but you waste so much with ro and my oversize 6fter holds 490 litres so would go through at least 1000 litres to get enough . I have a ro unit for the marine tank but it only holds 200 lts . I have heard the marine plus sells filtered water at $100 per 1000 lts but not sure.

• HOF Member

It really depends on what type of shrimp you want to keep. I have a pura tap that is quite good but the ph is still 7.5 . The RO units do waste water but I use mine to water plants and trees. I have a small portable RO unit that services 6 tanks about 300 litres. The original setting up took a while but I keep all my shrimp in the RO with added minerals depending on type of shrimp. Once you get the first fill done its not too bad and I store enough water for weekly or fortnightly water changes.

Help in splitting a 6 ft tank

Hi hoping someone can help . Looking at splitting my 6 ft tank to 4 sections for shrimp. Not sure what to do with the filtration though looking at using a air sponge filter in each section but not sure if it will be enough filtration though. Looking at putting red rilli blue genes in one section , SSS grade crs in one section , SSS grade CBS in one section and maybe some blonde bees in the other or maybe pandas not sure. Cheers Daniel

• HOF Member

Daniel that's a lot of water. For sponge filters to keep clean. Cherries might be ok but when you get Crystals and TB's the water is paramount in keeping them healthy. You will definitely need a much bigger filtering system. A canister or a sump system would be the way to go. Inlet in first section outlet in last section and holes in the dividers between the sections to allow good water flow for canister system you would still need the sponges in each section ,I don't have a sump so can't help with that.

That's what I thought but was going to make the sections seperate tanks so it would make them about 89lt tanks , how do I make holes in the glass seperators thoughl

• HOF Member

you could use internal power filters for each section but that would be 4 power filters. If you become a premium member there is a section in the DIY section on how to drill holes in glass or you could go to Elite Aquariums in Mt Barker they can help you out. If you do want to become a serious breeder of higher quality type of shrimp then you should look into it. If you are happy to try the different colour variations of the cherry shrimp then you can go down the path of sponge filters but you would need 2-3 filters in each section because of the large quantity of water. There are also hang on back (HOB) filters that could service each section or possibly 1 for 2 sections if you have the intake in one side and the outlet next side but again you need to have a hole in the glass with either a sponge insert or a wire mesh insert to allow for water flow.

Ok cool i have 2 canisters on the tank at the moment ( both combined do 2200lph ) the glass with the holes sound the best . With the foam inserts on the holes , is that with the plastic thing they use as a drain with sponges pushed over the plastic mesh things and how many holes . Sorry about the stupid questions but I don't really understand. How do I become a premium member ?

• HOF Member

First of all there are no stupid questions here ask what ever you need or want to. Premium membership is under settings then paid subscriptions. I can never get the links to work on my ipad. I will leave the rest of the explaining about dividing tanks to someone a bit more knowledgeable about that, I separated my tank with just a big thick sponge which also acted as a filter but when you need to clean it eventually you will have to catch all the shrimp out . My knowledge is very limited with the glass partioning.