Sign in to follow this  
shrimpsider

Nemo Bee Shrimp

shrimpsider

Today, I have ordered 20 Nemo Bee shrimp from a private shrimp breeder here in Germany. These shrimp are also called 'Blue Crystal Bee' or 'Toraja Shrimp'. The scientific name is caridina sulawesi, although the Indonesian exporter labels them as caridina aristocratensis (what is nonsense).

This shrimp is caught not in the Sulawesi lake system, but in the hinterland of the island. It is rarely kept as most people feel reminded on wild bee shrimp, and think the colors are weak. However, the Nemo Bee can also show blueish colors and offer a wide variety of breeding perspectives, IMO.

The breeder keeps his in PH 7 / GH 5 / KH2 / 250µs / 23 °C. I will keep you updated on my batch!

​

BHQ2oqfog_w

wayne6442

Looking forward to seeing some pictures, I envie you SOOoOo much. Good Luck

Dean

that looks like a great new addition to your collection. i think they are very nice looking shrimp

and did you notice they have a pattern very similar to the Australian native blue and white zebra ?

look forward to the progress on this Imke :encouragement:

shrimpsider

They have arrived! Although the seller packed them like a noob, into a small 500ml plastic bottle with water only filled up to the half, wrapped into a aluminium chicken bag, I had no losses! The shrimp are all reddish, and have a white blaze on the head. They are around 1,5cm but very active and fragile - good swimmers!

post-11-139909845624_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909845627_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909845629_thumb.jpg

lachie1998

wow they look realy nice! the way he packaged them looks abit dogey.

Sprae

That's a great piece of packaging :)

But the Nemo bee shrimps are very interesting.

Gbang

holy dooley thank god they are alive!!! but great looking shrimp!

shrimpsider

I am happy about me first little female getting BERRIED today! The only point that bothers me is that both species were dancing; so hopefully caridina sulawesi and paracaridina princess bee don not cross... some new photos from today

post-11-139909845721_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909845725_thumb.jpg

post-11-13990984573_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909845734_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909845739_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909845744_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909845748_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909845753_thumb.jpg

Dean

beautiful Imke, i love these shrimp. does the red on there body get darker?

shrimpsider
beautiful Imke' date=' i love these shrimp. does the red on there body get darker?[/quote']

Yes, the red is getting darker, and the shrimp seem to develop into different directions, which is due to their wild origin, I guess. They haven't been selected for long time, and maybe the seller gave me the shrimp which did not meet his breeding targets.

post-11-139909845768_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909845772_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909845777_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909845781_thumb.jpg

Foxpuppet
They have arrived! Although the seller packed them like a noob' date=' into a small 500ml plastic bottle with water only filled up to the half, wrapped into a aluminium chicken bag, I had no losses! The shrimp are all reddish, and have a white blaze on the head. They are around 1,5cm but very active and fragile - good swimmers![/quote']

Is a 600ml bottle less noobish? We post shrimp this way in Australia all the time ;)

Lovely little shrimp btw! No pics of the berried female?

shrimpsider
Is a 600ml bottle less noobish? We post shrimp this way in Australia all the time ;)

You are kidding, don't you? The water-air ratio is hard to calculate in such a mini bottle, and shrimp are thrown around, too.

The berried female is here, it looks like a small Red Fire anyhow:

post-11-139909845785_thumb.jpg

Dean

very nice ! they look to carry only a few eggs, is this because they are so small?

shrimpsider
very nice ! they look to carry only a few eggs' date=' is this because they are so small?[/quote']

Yes, the female on the pic is very small, around 2.5 cm only. Not to compare with other caridina.

shrimpsider

I now have first shrimplets, 10-12 from one batch, and another female berried. Also, three losses from adults to moan, what probably has happened because of the heat wave we had. I am sorry to say that the shrimplets are so tiny that it is almost impossible to take pictures! :p

Sprae

Sorry to hear your losses. Does most breeders in Germany have chillers?

shrimpsider
Sorry to hear your losses. Does most breeders in Germany have chillers?

No, most people haven't - just fans when it is getting too bad, but no external marine chillers. Most of us try avoiding chillers by adding O2 to the tank when it is getting hotter. However, I guess chillers are a future topic, as we will have mediterrain weather soon here (--> global warming).

Gbang

well done imke! can't wait to see these babies :)

shrimpsider

The babies are still developing and grow, but I can add two new photos today - showing the difference between females and males:

female:

post-11-139909846832_thumb.jpg

male:

post-11-139909846834_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909846664_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909846668_thumb.jpg

BlueBolts

Thanks for the update. Great work, what plans do you have for them (selective or cross breeding) ?

fishmosy

Fantastic shrimp mate, interesting to see the differences between the males and females colouration.

shrimpsider
Thanks for the update. Great work' date=' what plans do you have for them (selective or cross breeding) ?[/quote']

Hello, I am not planning much at the moment, as I am again not sure if I will move to another town.The Toraja are best selectively breed IMO, but for now I am only trying to multiply some, and spread them to my shrimp buddies, to make the strain/ressource bigger for all.

shrimpsider

Berried Mom

The females are loaded so much that they can barely walk!

post-957-139909858535_thumb.jpgpost-32-139909847307_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909846986_thumb.jpg

post-11-139909846988_thumb.jpg