Mystery snails

KillieOrCory

I like having snails in my tanks to have a more balanced system. My snails of choice are red ramshorn snails and mystery (apple) snails depending on the tank set-up. All other types of snails that *turn up* in my tanks are systematically removed during routine tank maintenance.

Because of the recent interest I wanted to show you some of the variations available from time to time.

IMG_2431_zps6428d16e.jpg

Blackfoot

IMG_2433_zpsd28de8bb.jpg

Tortoiseshell

As soon as I breed some I'll send some over to northboy and KiwibigD.

• HOF Member

I just have the ramshorn snails both Red and a lovely Bronze. Recently I have been finding a spotted snail but they aren't big enough to be sure they are Ramshorns. I didn't want to like snails but must admit they are nice!

Just saw one of the spotted snail they are ramshorns and the look a bit like the tortoiseshell they used to use for hairbrushes and things. Very pretty really

Ineke welcome to the Dark side, there is a number of us over here. So just dam well give in LOL if they are not a pest species they are excellent tank inhabitants

Bob

Nice snails, I remember years ago seeing various colours in apple/ mystery snails but the last few years the only ones I have seen any where have been the golden.

• 1 month later...

no i only have one hehe.. btw thats looks very big eggs!

.... if you have more than 1 .... yes.

• 3 weeks later...

I love snails too. They have such amusing antics. Recently I got one from a store I don't usually go to and the store person gave me a discount because there was only one left. They were in the cold water section for some reason. And when I got it home and it came out of its shell its antennae had been bitten off by something. It was not the most attractive creature. They are growing back quite quickly though. I've been looking for other colours too but everywhere only seems to have the gold ones at the moment.