Doom and Gloom

ineke

• HOF Member

Did ya hear the shouting???? Hubby is doing up the bathroom which is great BUT he used a spray can to touch up a bit of gloss paint he missed in the shed. I didn't know until half an hour later and the smell of paint fumes was right through the house and the shrimp room door was wide open:dejection:

shrimp seem to be fine and as it already happened there's not much I can do grrrrr. Hopefully the fumes won't affect them and its been a couple of hours now with all seeming OK hope they are alright. :cower:

• HOF Member

Ooooo he will be so dead if my shrimp have been affected. Poor guy he is so sorry just didn't think. I would have thought there would be deaths by now because all the tanks have air pumps but still ok at the moment and the house has been completely opened up its freezing in here even the dogs look cold. Well I guess we will know in the morning , the worst part is I have nearly got every type of shrimp I wanted now:dejection:. At least he said if he has killed my shrimp I can spend whatever it takes to replace them but he doesn't understand they aren't replaceable they are MY SHRIMP MY BABIES. Oh well what is done is done and I have given him very strict instructions on what to do when painting anything in the house.

Don't worry Ineke. I bet your babies will be fine. :cheerful:

At least he was not doing it in the same room and hopefully not too much of the fumes have entered your shrimp room. The smell is often much worse than the actual amount of fumes in the room. He only did touch ups with the smelly paint.

Tell him to use waterbased paints next time! (BAD husband!)

• HOF Member

most of the tanks have carbon so hopefully they should be OK it was such a shock though smelling the fumes. I have stopped using hairspray, perfume and bath oils except for special occasions and ow to have this happen is really sad. but still no deaths and its been a few hours now I would have thought i would see something happening by now so hopefully we are all good, I'm making him go into the shrimp room first tomorrow though. If there are deaths you will read the headlines crazy shrimp lady mutilates her husband!!!!!!

I'd also skin the surface off all tanks, and do a water change....just to be sure, and to know you've done ALL you can ? Fingers & Toes cross

• HOF Member

Thanks BB have done a water change in all 6 tanks will use a paper towel and skim the surface right away although cant see any film on the tanks. Thankfully they all have lids. Shrimp still looking good and its been about 3 hours now so hopefully all good. Everything crossed.

Great ! Love to see a dedicated hobbyist... please make sure you take EXTRA EXTRA care of my favourite tank. :friendly_wink:

• HOF Member

That's the first tank I looked at and luckily that's the tank that is over filtered , 3 sponge filters and the 2213 canister and also the lids access holes for tubes has been taped over to STOP escapees so I doubt that tank will be affected other than any fumes the air filter may have sucked in but even then the pump is pretty well protected so fingers crossed. All the inhabitants in that tank are still happily swimming and foraging. The smaller tanks are the ones with the gaps where fumes could settle but still OK. The house has no smell of paint anymore- we are blue with cold but I think we should be OK . Well we will know in the morning and I hope everything is OK.

• HOF Member

Well it's been 5 hours now and no casualties , I would have thought I would have seen some problems by now. Maybe I did the water changes quickly enough , not to mention opening all the windows and doors to blow the fumes out. I'm making him go in there first tomorrow:(

Wow Ineke, it sounds like hubby's nuts are safe. When I did all the plumbing for my rack the fumes from the glue was overwhelming & I though something might happen, with the room being climate controlled I was unable to throw the windows & doors open & was a bit worried but I had no problems. Hope you have the same success :victorious:

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggle, hubby is safe at the moment but he better be ready to run tomorrow if I have any problems. I think I should be safe I got to them pretty quick and have only just closed the windows in that room so plenty of fresh air.

• HOF Member

Huge sigh of relief all shrimp are doing well so I guess they should be fine now:encouragement:

Great to hear all safe and well this morning! Very lucky naughty husband!

• HOF Member

Thanks Newbreed he is indeed a lucky man to still have all his parts attached! I have recently fulfilled my wish of having shrimp from Dean, Ninja and BB and though I love my husband dearly his life would have been a misery for a while if he had killed my special shrimp.:encouragement: