Fake Tiger Shrimps on Gumtree etc

neosin

As suggested by BB, I'm posting this thread to inform the community that there are fake Tigers going around atm!

I was going to pay around $700 for them but back out at the last minute because I found out they are simply wild cherries with some stripes sold as tigers >_<

Here's the full story.

I found the ad on gumtree for 4 x blue tigers for i think it was $100 each cheap sale. I knew this was cheap but figured I had nothing to lose :P

So I called the number and I asked for pics of them. He sent me lots of pics (below) and frankly they did look like tigers as they had stripes. Thing was, none of them had orange eyes which made me suspicious.

I did some research and I came across a thread on another forum with members with black eye blue tigers so I thought they were real, however, I still had some doubts...

So I asked him to send me pics of the parents, he said he doesn't have them and that he got 14 juvies from a vietnamese guy named Justin in Melbourne for $70 each and that he said they were tigers.

In the end, something just didn't look right with the pictures he sent me as the shrimps were too thin almost like my cherries and blues (tigers are big and round), I spent hours on the internet trying to figure out what they may be. At one point I thought they were aura blues as they did look very similar but his ones just didn't look as blue and bright.

Then it hit me, wild cherries!!! So I googled wild cherries and volia, they looked a lot like the shrimps in his pics.

The only thing remains is why his wild cherries are blue. The only thing I can think of is they are dyed with some sort of blue colour or fed something and sold to unsuspecting hobbyists.

So at that point I told him they were fake and sent him the pictures of the wild cherries and he said he will contact the guy that sold him the shrimp...

I told him he should remove the listing but it's still up on gumtree with 200 visits (i'm sure someone would have bought from him) >_<

So that's the whole story, at this point I'm not going to post his name up yet as I don't know for sure if he himself got scammed as he was trying to make a quick buck.

I believe in honest mistakes, but to dye a shrimp to make it look like another just makes me sick!

Hope no one here in sydney bought them :(

Cheers

enjoy the fake tigers below :P

IMG_0290.jpgIMG_0289.jpgIMG_0294.jpgIMG_0291.jpgIMG_0292.jpgIMG_0293.jpg

and these are the pics i sent him to show him what wild cherries look like

hetero_small_1.jpgheteropoda_saddled_female_th.jpg03_may_2012_rcs004.jpgred_cherry_shrimp_baby_th.jpgcherry_male.jpgmaleredcherryshrimp.jpg

Glad you were able to back out before it was too late' date=' definitely a lesson for everyone that if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is! Personally, I would never go for any cheap shrimp off anyone else but this forum, I just don't trust all the dodgy f$@kers out there & would rather pay a bit more for quality I know will be what is sold to me, YAY SKF!! :victorious:[/quote']

Can you believe I actually have a few real tigers myself and I got fooled!

Those fakes are really good fakes, some of the clear look like real blonde tigers.

The giveaway I think is Neos have thinner body shape and tigers have a more round body shape.

I dont think he dyed the shrimps. I have wild cherries that are blue.

I have seen lots of people think wild cherries are tigers though because of the stripes!

I dont think he dyed the shrimps. I have wild cherries that are blue.

I have seen lots of people think wild cherries are tigers though because of the stripes!

This is what caught me, the stripes.

When they are young it is really hard to tell what is fake and what is real.

Do you know any tips to tell them apart?

Thanks

This is what caught me' date=' the stripes.

When they are young it is really hard to tell what is fake and what is real.

Do you know any tips to tell them apart?

Thanks[/quote']

No sorry i don't.... I haven't had any experience with tigers. I would have picked those as wild cherries straight up though.

Just buy from someone you trust and if it's too good to be true, it probably is!

I wouldn't buy shrimp from elsewhere but only from SKF plus a handful of other people I know and trust.

But you'ld like to think you can trust people, this if the buyer knew is fraud. What is their method of payment? If Paypal, then file with them immediately. The guy should also be taking down the advertisement down as well, not acceptable at all! Then of course you'll get those buyers who then breed and onsell again. Not good at all!

But you'ld like to think you can trust people' date=' this if the buyer knew is fraud. What is their method of payment? If Paypal, then file with them immediately. The guy should also be taking down the advertisement down as well, not acceptable at all! Then of course you'll get those buyers who then breed and onsell again. Not good at all![/quote']

Yeh I think this is what's happening.

1 guy sells fakes, the buyers don't know and breed and sell more fakes >_<

Not good :(

Like Tor, I have a heap of wild type blues just like your sellers, I would call them blue tiger cherries, had no idea that people were trying to sell them for that much, maybe worth a couple of bucks each at this time. I also have red and yellows with the same stripes as well

I wonder if when he photographed his shrimp if the photos where taken at night or first thing in the morning just after the lights came back on. I know I had a few red cherry shrimp that would drop the red at night and become blue, but after a short time of the lights being back on they would turn red again.

How come I've never heard or read or seen about these wild blue cherries before???

Can someone post pics? I've been on the forums for a while too >_

I guess that a lot cherry breeders like me are still experimenting with them to get their colour more intensified, and I know that a lot of people just cull them as inferior and give them away. Mine are running in what I call my mystery tank with all my other wild types and are listed as one of my next projects. Next time I catch some I will take pictures and post here.Wayne

How come I've never heard or read or seen about these wild blue cherries before???Can someone post pics? I've been on the forums for a while too >_<

+1 JonX...his details

0434495870 - Peter Pham from Bonnyrig

There's another add there selling OEBT's, Blondes & Super Tiger's...pics are all blurred, No pics of OEBT...etc...looks suspect !

For sale

Orange eyed blonde tiger juvies 0.8-1cm $130 each

Blonde tiger juvies 0.8-1cm $90 each

Super tiger juvies ( white stripes) 0.8-1cm $90 each

Please email,text or call kristy& David on 0432657190

Located in minchinbury

C'mon JonX, represent NSW, and clean up your state ! LOL

+1 JonX...his details

0434495870 - Peter Pham from Bonnyrig

There's another add there selling OEBT's' date= Blondes & Super Tiger's...pics are all blurred, No pics of OEBT...etc...looks suspect !

For sale

Located in minchinbury

This add for the oebts are legit

It's my mate he is also on the site

There's another add there selling OEBT's' date= Blondes & Super Tiger's...pics are all blurred, No pics of OEBT...etc...looks suspect !

For sale

Located in minchinbury

it's one of our new good members on SKF.

This add is legit.

Hi all just want to clear something up here the add on gumtree with the tigers for $130 is mine they are legit tigers none of this bull crap wild cherry throwbacks if you want to see the pictures feel free to txt me on 0401958897 !!!! I don't want people thinking I am trying to rip people off and lie

many thanks David and kristy

Hi David & Kristy...apologies if I offended, advert didn't show any OEBT or super tigers etc...and pics were blurred etc....just wanted verification etc...

Will SMS you now for pics of the super tigers juvi's ? As I'm keen. Thanks

I think it is time that some of you guys learn to tell the difference between Cardina Conidnensis sp and Neocaridina Heteropoda sp ( cherry) shrimp. The shrimp in the original pictures really cannot be mistaken for any Cardina species and is obviously a Neocaridina . As for the name " Blue Tiger" I have no problem in refering to the cherry version as Blue Tiger as long as it is prefixed by Neocaridina Heteropoda SP .

I think it is time that some of you guys learn to tell the difference between Cardina Conidnensis sp and Neocaridina Heteropoda sp ( cherry) shrimp. The shrimp in the original pictures really cannot be mistaken for any Cardina species and is obviously a Neocaridina . As for the name " Blue Tiger" I have no problem in

refering to the cherry version as Blue Tiger as long as it is prefixed by Neocaridina Heteropoda SP .

Or tell the difference between reds and pumpkins ??

Never had pumpkins so I wouldn't know:beaten:

Or tell the difference between reds and pumpkins ??

You should know your more an expert than me!

Thanks Wayne. Can you specifically share the obvious difference between the two ....

At least on gumtree there are pics that you could look at.

I'm not a fan of sites like petlink where there's no pics.

Thanks for letting us know that there are fakes out there.

But in my opinion we shouldnt judge everyone and jump to conclusions that all sellers are dodgy

To the experts, is there a foolproof way to identify which shrimps are what?