What happens when the lights go out

ineke

• HOF Member

I find my Rili tank quite fascinating , I have a good number of females but 5 of them always seem to get berried on the same night and have their babies on the same day! Yesterday I was thinking gee no berried mamas in here for a while and this morning berried mamas every where. What does happen when the lights go out????? And no, no water change yesterday, that was Monday. My Chocolates seem to be getting synchronised too, 2 of the females are always berried at the same time!

• HOF Member

Tehehe the girls can always keep their eyes closed:o . I just wonder why all at the same time, there are studies done about females of all types including humans and it was found that females living in close quarters often cycle together- no not on their bikes Squiggle- and I find it interesting that it seems to be happening in a couple of my tanks. It's great but it means lots of babies in a small tank all at the same time..not complaining but fascinating. I can't think of anything I did yesterday to set them off I guess it must be down. To Mondays water change. Dean suggested I give the yellows a big water change so I did the others as well not the Crystals. So the Rilis and the chocolates obliged but not the yellows and the old yellow female that finally got berried- she died.

Spewing about your yellow girl, I know they'll eventually breed for you one day. :victorious:

Are you going to turn from a shrimp starer to a shrimp perver ?? Sicko LOL

Makes sense that breeding happens a night, in the wild it would be the safest time, predators don't see them as well while they are distracted doing the shrimp multiplying thing ???, It is after all finding the safest moment to be distracted.

Bob

• HOF Member

I know Bob but its just fascinating that so many girls got berried on the same night something must have put them in the mood:cheerful:

It will be the water change, being small critters they will hold of a day or two until the torrent from the rain slows, that allows them to move around and breed without being washed away, I would think they are not far enough removed to have lost that yet.

It is something I see after rain, shrimp breed a few days after the event and all the girls are carrying eggs that were saddled before, some don't hold until after the rain, but that is the laws of nature.

Bob

PS your regular water changes set a precedent for breeding

• HOF Member

Ps I know that but the yellows live by a different set of rules;)

Hahaha, the yellows are rebels & live by their own rules, don't try to change them man! :smiley_simmons:

• HOF Member

Nah I dropped a male very light blue almost yellow from chocolate breeding into the tank, he was madly doing the crazy dance in another tank and the wicked me came out and said you go and show them mate I don't care if you make mongrel babies just stir those lazy yellow males up:cheerful:

• HOF Member

I'll probably be sorry tomorrow when I read this but hey it might work and yes I did acclimatise him but the water was almost identical. I may have had a couple of drinks but I still look after my animals properly;)

See I told you that you were twisted LOL

Bob

PS Nog I am not sure who is more twisted now LOL twisted people rock