Sign in to follow this  
Sprae

Raising GH and lowering?

Sprae

Hi all

I've been busy but still keeping my shrimp tank going well. Did a WP test last night and everything was good except the GH raisen to 7. It was pretty stable at 6 for a long time especially since I use RO water with SSM mix.

Aquarium water tests 11/8 7pm

GH = 7

KH = not tested

Ammonia = 0

Nitrate = 0

Nitrite = 0

pH = 5.9

TDS = 160

EC = 340-350

Temp = 22.8c

It's not affecting my shrimps for now as I've got 2 berried mischlings. Awaiting for mischlings and TW shrimplets soon.

Any ideas why it's crept up? How would you slowly bring it back down?

I'll double check with another WP test tonight and on the RO water as well.

Squiggle

There's a couple of ways to reduce general hardness but I'm interested to know if your carbonate hardness has risen too. You can either use straight RO water, IAL is another water softener, peat moss or Macropore gold. Have you added any calcium or magnesium? Epsom salts will raise GH. Have you added any new rocks? :encouragement:

Sprae
Have you added any calcium or magnesium? Epsom salts will raise GH. Have you added any new rocks?

Nothing has been added since establish the tank. I'll do KH test as well tonight. I've got lots of IAL but haven't added any into this tank yet as I'm trying to keep it minimal and simple. Might put a 1/4 of a IAL in the nano if required.

BlueBolts

Those WP looks great.....I don't think the shrimps will have any issues with GH 7, just observe their moults, and if all successful, I'd leave it, rather then tinker.

Berried mishlings sounds interesting.... Who was the dad ! TB ?

I'm trying to increase my GH and KH to 10, without increasing TDS and PH.

DG17

Bb did you say you're trying to increase the kh to 10? I don't know if its a stupid question or not as I thought it should be kept as low as possible? If you are trying to increase it what is the benefit?

Sprae

Thanks BB. These are Dean's F4 mischlings as I'm giving them a go and see if any TBs appears. So I'm quite keen on the two berried females on what comes out!

Did another test to confirm GH 7 and KH 2. I'll stick with it for now as they are all moulting ok. Still doing monthly 10% WC so I can tweak it later with IAL or something.

Sprae
I'm trying to increase my GH and KH to 10' date=' without increasing TDS and PH.[/quote']

Sounds like WP for Tigers KH: 4 – 8 GH: 6 – 10 ;)

BlueBolts
Bb did you say you're trying to increase the kh to 10? I don't know if its a stupid question or not as I thought it should be kept as low as possible? If you are trying to increase it what is the benefit?

It's for a secrete shrimp project...sshhhhh ! LOL

Squiggle

What!? Did you say secret project? What is it? What is it? Is it the Black Opps project code named "Blue Thunder"? I'm telling everyone! Hahaha :smiley_simmons:

ineke

Not for those mongrels is it BB.??.