3ft cherry tank!

shrimpyy

hey guy's well I have a 3ft fish tank that I going to set up for cherry shrimp! now I have the tank, filter and heater all I need it gravel, im wanting to cover the ground with some sort of plant and have heaps of mosses, now im really confused on what soil to use or gravel I want there to be no co2 and low light, I realy want this project up and running so I don't lose interests, Thanks SKF!!! :):redface-new:

So far I have found ground cover to be quite challenging in low light. :(

So far I have found ground cover to be quite challenging in low light. :(

would agree challenging with low light an no co2. Depending on color cherries you gonna get i think black diamond quartz gravel is nice :)

Another thing to think about is if you plan to move on to higher grade shrimp later on. If you plan on getting CRS/CBS or even Taiwan Bees later you might want to get the substrate to suit them now so you don't have to do any major changes to the tank later. Disregard if you want to stick with cherries, quartz gravel is a great inert substrate for them & personally I love the black but it makes it impossible to see the shrimp if you have black cherries or even chocs are hard to make out. :encouragement:

Yeah thanks guy's well I buying a 4ft cherry tank now and going to use this 3fter for CRS! Ill post a pick of the 4ft tonight as I am getting the 4ft tank today it has lights , heaps of plants, drift wood , filter! So yay!!

Just gotta find away to get all the water back to mine with no spils or anything :)

Bunnings sells 25L & 30L wide mouth water drums with big lids on them, perfect for transporting tank water. When I moved I just poured the whole tank in them, fish & all with my small tanks. :encouragement:

Awesome stuff, can't wait to see the pics. :victorious:

very nice, whenyou pick it up check the filter media in the canister filter as they dont use very good media in those unless it been replaced :) had one myself

With a net, cause using your hands is very very hard, hahaha! :smiley_simmons: Seriously though, two nets is the best way, you scoop with one net & corral them with the other. :victorious:

• HOF Member

there you are Ninja a new subdivision of your business trawlers for shrimp tanks remote controlled- oh what fun:encouragement:

hey guy's well I went to go see the 4ft tank and it really nice so I brought but I am going to pick it up tomorrow arvo, but I have a little problem there is heaps of moss and stuff so I plan to get as much water as possible and put the shrimp in a bucket but I want to set up plant soil so im going to put all the stuff in a 3ft or 2ft most likely the 2 foot so I can cycle the 4ft so sill it be fine to set up the 2ft with all the gravel and water out of the 4ft?? thanks Blake

OMG ninja, that's too funny!! I can just see a fleet of little R/C trawlers in a tank in your reception, ready to go catch shrimpies, hahaha :smiley_simmons:

hey guy's well I went to go see the 4ft tank and it really nice so I brought but I am going to pick it up tomorrow arvo' date=' but I have a little problem there is heaps of moss and stuff so I plan to get as much water as possible and put the shrimp in a bucket but I want to set up plant soil so im going to put all the stuff in a 3ft or 2ft most likely the 2 foot so I can cycle the 4ft so sill it be fine to set up the 2ft with all the gravel and water out of the 4ft?? thanks Blake[/quote']

The only problem you would have is if you put the shrimp in with the plant soil straight away :), just put everything out of that tank into the 2 or 3ftr with as much water as possible and then drip acclimatise them as i am guessing your going to have to add new water aswell. Make sure you got some seachem stability to give the beneficial bacterial colony a boost.

yeah well I can bring back 80L of water and yeah there heaps of snails In There to witch suck's so I need to find away to trap them all but the tank is pretty good ill upload a few pic's later but yeah ill get some of the seachem stability, also there is 2 big cat fish that I don't like so they will be for sale when I get the tank and when I buy a membership ""witch will be soon"" an here a list of plants I could see! ( hair grass, flame moss, jarva moss, jarva furn's,amazon sword, that's about all I could see and billions of little shrimp and shrimplets!! thanks for all the help fellas

Very nice tank dude, definitely use as much water as possible, another way you could set it up is to put all the water you keep in to the 2ft tank & start the tank up with the shrimp in it, then slowly drip any new water in to the tank, as long as it's less than 20% & you do it slow enough you should be fine. Then you could set up & cycle the 3ft & 4ft in your own time. :victorious:

thanks every one for the help, tip's and every thing :). well I might try eco complete for the gravel for the 4fter, I want to get the 4ft up and running asap so im setting the 3ft up just as a holding tank for water so it can cycle quicker {it may or may not work} but I was shocked about the tank its so nice and also I open up the filter and it full of sponge and that pillow stuff :) and about 1000'S of little shrimp as there nothing over the pick up but yeah there heaps of nice shrimps!! can not wait to pick it up tomorrow arvo