Blue Velvet Cherry

michael

Hi all just thought id share a couple of pics of sone of my blue velvets from my colony these are only f3 originally breed from red rili blue gene but the colour coming alone nicely.post-3161-139909854282_thumb.jpg

post-3161-139909854285_thumb.jpgnice big saddled female

post-3161-139909854288_thumb.jpg her young mate

post-1567-139909862309_thumb.jpg

post-1567-139909862313_thumb.jpg

post-1567-139909862318_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys thats why I wanted some of your blue cherries (chocolate line) marcus to cross with this line to see what comes of it.

• 2 months later...
  • HOF Member

They are very nice Michael. Well done. :encouragement:

Just as an after thought is it OK to mix the Blue Velvet with the Blues from chocolates? I am just starting my line of Blue Velvets and as F1 they are quite pale although there is one male with a reasonable blue colour. I have quite a few light blues from chocolate but wasn't sure if I should mix them or not. Any thoughts would be welcome

I have got every intention of crossing mine with some blues from chocolates. I am going to put a couple of females with some males to try it in a contoled environment. That way it doesnt ruin either line. Thats my opinion anyways

• HOF Member

I might see how my first babies turn out and by then my Chocolate blues will have matured a bit so I can give that a go myself. It just means keeping that lot of crossed shrimp separate until they breed true. I think BB said his had been breeding true and then suddenly had chocolates coming through instead of or as well as blues. My problem with my Chocolate blues is they will change colour depending on the ph of their water. They are much better in low ph around 6.5 than they are in anything over 7. But my lines are all very early days yet.:D

Let me know how u go with that. These guys have really nice solid colour and im very happy with it. Hopefully it keeps getting stronger. I currently have 4 tanks of blues im working on 3 different lines each with different colouring.

• HOF Member

Sounds very interesting Michael . Hope you keep us updated with the results. It would be good to hear how you go. The Blue Velvets you have are a very nice colour.

Mine are currently in a ph of 6.5 but that does fluctulate slightly. I do want to get a colony of choc blues to play with. I found one of my blues with a very light colour and a white saddle so im holding out hope that it might be a snowball. But i thought they were breed from something else.

• HOF Member

Yes I thought so too? I've just moved a heap of blue chocolates into a higher ph tank today . They were a reasonable Blue but it will be interesting to see how they look tomorrow once they get over the stress of the higher ph. So far only a quarter of the blues I have moved on other occasions have stayed blue most turned black or dark chocolate. Maybe I need to keep them in the lower ph to develop the colour and then change them to the higher ph. It's just most people keep cherries above 7 so I want mine to stay blue at the higher ph.

I have heaps of babies coming on in the Chocolates in various depth of colour and the breeding females that are my main stock seem to drop one lot of babies and berry up almost straight away. I will need to do another big clean out pretty soon so maybe we can do a swap instead of you buying some.

• HOF Member

Let me know when you come to Adelaide again and I will sort some out for you to look at.

• HOF Member

I will pm you as I don't think we are supposed to do swaps outside of the classifieds area.

• 1 month later...

[ATTACH]6092[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6093[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6094[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6095[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6096[/ATTACH]

A few new pics of some of my blues

post-1567-139909855418_thumb.jpg

post-1567-139909855423_thumb.jpg

post-1567-139909855428_thumb.jpg

post-1567-139909855433_thumb.jpg

post-1567-139909855436_thumb.jpg