questions about tank dividing

Brado

hey guys ive got a 3ft tank that i would like to divide.. any suggestions on how to go about it?

obviously i would use some sort of fine mesh but how would you attach it to the sides?, keeping in mind i will not be emptying the tank so silicone is out of the question.. any suggestions appreciated.

cheers

A sheet of SS mesh with silicone airline tubing cut down the middle running down the side of the mesh. That seems to be quite popular these days :)

If you are not going to empty the tank and seal the edges of the divider you will risk having small gaps for the shrimplets to get through. As for dividers, I usually use fine stainless steel mesh cut to size and bordered with poster hangers. If you do it right, it will be a snug fit with minimal gaps.

Using a sponge mat as a divider ? It also creates a smorgasbord for the shrimps to feed from ? Alternatively, if you're using the tank to only selective breed, then most acrylic dividers will do...or SS mesh..

what size is everyone using? i mean how many microns etc (the size of the holes in between)

Hehe, thank you, that's what I was meaning lol. I was wondering how fine it has to be to stop young shrimp getting through?

Here is my divider without me having to empty the water. Not the world best but it is doing what I want it to do.

BEDB932B-1A4C-4200-A9F2-521447C37185-3837-000004BF85DA4CCB.jpg

I can see everyone cracking their ass off. Kekeke

Really depends on the intention of the tank division....if it is to selective breed, then having shrimplets swimming through the SS poses no threat to the project.......I have a 126 lt tank with 4 breeding boxes....as soon as the female is berried, I release her to the main tank (for better survival for the shrimplets etc)....once the shrimplets are breeding size, then I'll catch them out...)....

If the purpose is to have different varieties kept in 1 compartment/division, than perhaps a smaller micron is required, but will need to take into account the flow etc...

i use 980 micron mesh mate, it is small enough to stop baby shrimp but doesn't restrict the flow to much.

how much mesh do you need as i have 1 last bit left from a roll i got a while back.??????

i could send it to you

thanks dean thats very kind of you, i like the simplicity of the air hose on the side of the mesh but just worried about the sturdiness..

my plans are to divide the tank into 2 maybe 3 sections and breed (more like keep) taibees.

im thinkin that the poster hangers might be a goer..

my tank is 14x 18 dean whatever that is in mm's :)

Does anyone know where you can get this ss wove mesh from in sydney i wanna go grab 60x60cm if you can buy it that small of a size.

Cheers Matt and Sarah

• 1 month later...

does anyone know where to get these poster hangers from??? have tryed officeworks, spotlight etc....

Using a sponge mat as a divider ? It also creates a smorgasbord for the shrimps to feed from ? Alternatively' date=' if you're using the tank to only selective breed, then most acrylic dividers will do...or SS mesh..[/quote']

Sorry to hijack a lil.. what type of sponge mat and where would you buy it? I have 4 3x2x2 which I am looking at dividing as well in the not too distant future.... Also how would you keep the sponges from completely clogging (more of a long term maintenance consideration).