PH keeps increasing..

DG17

I think it would be interesting to do the same experiment with TDS, very intrigued to know the results of that one. :victorious:

Squigs originally I had 20 ltrs of those crappy ph increasing ceramic noodles in the sump and 8 ltrs of eheim substrate pro and my ph controller was in my sump.. So I think the higher reading was those noodles because after only having 10ltrs of them in there and 20ltrs of eheim it's already starting to drop. I just don't want to change all the media at once and disrupt the bacteria but ill eventually change all of it to eheim.

What is your moss on? Any on rocks? Only need one small rock of the wrong type to affect ph?

All my moss is tied to the clay caves from dean.. All I have in my tanks is the caves, sponge filters, mineral balls, oxydators and glass shrimp feeders, 9cm of benibachi soil with mineral powder underneath. Oh and shrimp.

My sump other than media has sponge, wool and a bag of Purigen.

I had a similar issue in 1 of my tanks. I used some noodles/rings from an AquaClear HOB and the PH was constantly raising. Killed the buffering capacity of my UP Shrimp soil in under 3 months.

After some cup tests I found it was the noodles and after some investigation I found they use crushed coral in the noodles to buffer the PH. I pulled them out and used some cintered glass noodles and the PH started to drop.

I now only use cintered glass media or eheim / seachem branded media in most of my tanks. The only tank I don't use this combo in is currently having PH issues. It originated when my digital timer for the lights failed causing the lights to be on 24 hours a say. This caused the PH to rise, now I'm struggling to drop the PH again.