Sign in to follow this  
ineke

breeding blues from chocolate

ineke

I finally caught out most of my blue or bluish shrimp from my Chocolate with black and blue genes tank. I still have a few blue left in the chocolate tank because I couldn't catch them without upsetting the berried girls.

So what do I do now - let them breed and keep culling out any that aren't blue? Do I let them breed until numbers are up a bit then cull heavily to only have the best blues or can you keep using any with blue traits to get a decent colony going? I haven't really done any proper selective breeding other than the RCS where I took out all the clear males and any females that were poor colour, and the Rilis where I take out as many males as I can catch that don't have good markings, even starting to take really poor females out now too.

BlueBolts

Selective breeding blue off chocs, is a project that will require patience and persistence..... My blue cherry colony after 2 generations appear on track, but all of a sudden, the next generation produced all Choc.... Aarrgggg. So back to the drawing board ! Just need to be really selective, and choose the best of the lot.

ineke

Thanks BB I will see what I get from this first generation and do as you say cull heavily. I want to improve on the Chocolates as well so will start taking out the lighter chocolate ones from there too. I've noticed a few that look almost like yellows coming through. Where did Yellows come from?. I can understand why we need so many tanks now.

Better luck next time round with your Blues.

KiwiBigD
Selective breeding blue off chocs' date=' is a project that will require patience and persistence..... My blue cherry colony after 2 generations appear on track, but all of a sudden, the next generation produced all Choc.... Aarrgggg. So back to the drawing board ! Just need to be really selective, and choose the best of the lot.[/quote']

Ah bugger! That bites mate, need more tanks, more separation and individual cross-selection ;-) Need to step it up a bit

BlueBolts
Ah bugger! That bites mate' date=' need more tanks, more separation and individual cross-selection ;-) Need to step it up a bit[/quote']

I hear you ! :cower:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Crabclaw
      Oh no it’s magnetic... could be a problem with my magnet cleaner. Although, depending on the attraction I could just use the mag cleaner for the top 3/4 of the tank and get a scraper or something for the bottom.
    • Crabclaw
      Ooh I just found a sand that looks almost perfect, it even comes in the right package size for my tank. https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/products/pisces-iron-sand It’s another Pisces & Oliver Knott creation; AquaIron. Says it doesn’t alter the KH/GH/pH/TDS etc. Only problem is it says it should not be added to established tanks due to... cloudiness?? What do u think about this one?  Thanks again for your guys’ help!
    • jayc
      I was hoping it wasn't the pisces brand. Oh well, cross that off my recommended list. Are you willing to try AquaLava by Oliver Knott? I know it's not cheap.   Maybe. Got a link or something to where you would buy this? Without going into a whole Geology session, it depends on what the composition of the volcanic sand was.  We get a lot of our Scoria from NZ, that is generally inert.      If you want to go with sand, generally, your choice is Bunnings play sand. However, since sand can be sourced from any quarry anywhere in Australia, there is no guarantee it is inert. You can only buy it and then test for changes to the water parameter.
    • Crabclaw
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp. https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable!  Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁 (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page) post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Agreed! I had a tank with this setup but it came with the sponge behind the slits. Try not to get too fine sponge as that will restrict the flow and block too quickly. You will need to keep clearing the sponge every now and again as well! Simon