breeding blues from chocolate

ineke

• HOF Member

I finally caught out most of my blue or bluish shrimp from my Chocolate with black and blue genes tank. I still have a few blue left in the chocolate tank because I couldn't catch them without upsetting the berried girls.

So what do I do now - let them breed and keep culling out any that aren't blue? Do I let them breed until numbers are up a bit then cull heavily to only have the best blues or can you keep using any with blue traits to get a decent colony going? I haven't really done any proper selective breeding other than the RCS where I took out all the clear males and any females that were poor colour, and the Rilis where I take out as many males as I can catch that don't have good markings, even starting to take really poor females out now too.

Selective breeding blue off chocs, is a project that will require patience and persistence..... My blue cherry colony after 2 generations appear on track, but all of a sudden, the next generation produced all Choc.... Aarrgggg. So back to the drawing board ! Just need to be really selective, and choose the best of the lot.

• HOF Member

Thanks BB I will see what I get from this first generation and do as you say cull heavily. I want to improve on the Chocolates as well so will start taking out the lighter chocolate ones from there too. I've noticed a few that look almost like yellows coming through. Where did Yellows come from?. I can understand why we need so many tanks now.

Better luck next time round with your Blues.

Selective breeding blue off chocs' date=' is a project that will require patience and persistence..... My blue cherry colony after 2 generations appear on track, but all of a sudden, the next generation produced all Choc.... Aarrgggg. So back to the drawing board ! Just need to be really selective, and choose the best of the lot.[/quote']

Ah bugger! That bites mate, need more tanks, more separation and individual cross-selection ;-) Need to step it up a bit

Ah bugger! That bites mate' date=' need more tanks, more separation and individual cross-selection ;-) Need to step it up a bit[/quote']

I hear you ! :cower: