JohnH for your eyes only

ineke

• HOF Member

Thanks.Just hope she holds been here before a very long time ago but she lost them all!:encouragement:

Very cool stuff Ineke, finally congratulations! Now you just got a very long wait.............so long! Hahaha :smiley_simmons:

• HOF Member

I know sooo looong. Thanks Squiggle it's a start!:encouragement:

I had one of mine do that too. Here's hoping she holds them.

I just did a water change on my divided tank and I'm about to test the water parameters. Hopefully I can get my yellows out of the breeder box and back into their tank. Even though the two berried girls seem to be doing ok in the confined space.

• HOF Member

Good luck with the test. I have just taken half the water out of my not breeding Crystal tank , added fresh water, given it a make over of sorts and just now acclimatising them to go back in. Only the water is being changed plus a few plants added so hopefully it might be enough to get them breeding. :encouragement:

There you go, stuffing around with them again woman, if is good enuf to get preggie, it's good enuf to incubate, with small water changes????

• HOF Member

Oh the Yellows are stable with just a small water change weekly in a tank of their own. They were put in there with cherry water conditions about 6 weeks ago after living with the Crystals for some time.. The Crystals have been in their tank for 5-6 months and have done nothing so I thought a good water change and a few plants might be a good thing. The Crystals have not bred since I had them - I thought one may have been berried but she wasn't. I have 4 berried Chocolates ,5 berried rilis and now Yellows all with leaving them alone and not poking about. I don't think there are any mishlings berried at the moment although there may be one but hard to get a good look. No berried Tibees either but leaving them alone..

Congrats ineke!!! Lots of shrimplets on the way.

Not a race but am sure you would win!! I only have 2 chocs berried, hard to tell but my CBS should be ready to start soon too! It's all a big waiting game...

• HOF Member

No I'm just happy that I have shrimp the babies are a bonus. The chocolates have increased slowly from my original 8 I have 25 adults and a few babies coming on. They will need to be divided though as there are now some nice blues among them so will be putting the blues in a tank by themselves in a couple of days. I also just saw some of my new baby TBM's out I knew i had a few as I saw them when they first hatched but today I have seen 3 tiny ones walking around. I have about 20 babies/juvies now maybe a few more depending on how many came from this last batch but mum wasn't carrying many eggs.

• HOF Member

Yes Ninja I'm happy with my little lot , would like the crystals to breed just so I know I can keep them properly but otherwise all is good. I wouldn't expect the mishlings to breed just yet as they had a huge change from that little cube to the bigger tank but they all look good and healthy and babies seem to be thriving and growing well. All's good in my little shrimp world:D

The Tibees were never meant to breed anyway so if that baby is still in the tank that's a bonus.

You know I'm getting crystals now too ineke. Is it another race to see who gets berries first?

• HOF Member

John with the way my Crystals are you will win hands down they are just as reluctant as the Yellows were. I have all the right soil, RO water, salty shrimp, excellent filtration good food and plenty of variety at that. It's a mystery to me- I have even stopped playing with my tanks -well until I did a big clean up of their tank yesterday hoping a change of water may induce them. So John the glory can be yours -I'll be trying though:encouragement:

• HOF Member
YAY Ineke! You finally did it! :triumphant:

Thanks Garny yes but we have been here before and it is the same female she only carries a few eggs so hope she hangs on to them this time:encouragement:

• HOF Member

That would be nice John , good luck with your foray into Crystals :encouragement:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Update to say that after a few gravel vacs, front wall scrub, moss / floating plant trim, that the condition seems to have improved.  My current theory is that it is due to waste / debris management, where "stuff" like that brown mulm accumulates in the substrate and behind the HMF filters.  Maybe some tanks can somehow deal with it, but mine can't.  Also another experienced shrimper suggested that maybe those "shell bugs" don't just live on the shrimps but also in this debris.  Maybe this is the reason some tanks fail due to "old tank syndrome" where all they need is a good gravel vac? Also, I am guessing that plant trim helps too because now more of the nutrients and light go into growing algae instead of more plants? Well anyway for this tank I will try weekly water change and monthly gravel vac / plant trim.  For my next tank, I'm thinking of something like an under-gravel system where this mulm can fall down and I vac it out.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!